Electric knife for catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by oahegw, Aug 9, 2009.

1. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    Do many of you people use electric knives to fillet your cats?

What say you??

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i just filleted some flatheads with one last nigh and it worked great!!!

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I use an electric knife to fillet cats with.. but I use just a bread type or carving type like ya get in the house wares dept at wally world... they dont' cost too much and they arent' as sharp on the blades so ya don't cut thru the skin as easily as ya do with an electric fillet knife

4. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    Yes I use a electric knife for catfish. I also use it on a lot of my larger fish. Like a 20 salmon, or other large fish. 10 pound trout. Makes it real easy on LAGRE fish.

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I've never tried it but I'm sure it would be some what easier then the conventional ways. Gonna have to give it a shot sometime.

6. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma
    The Electric knife is the only way to go. I can fillet a channel cat in about a minute. Here is a link thats shows another guy not me doing it basically the same way I do. For anyone who wants to watch. If you have a Blue cat you have to do some trimming to get the red meat out. It doesn't taste to good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErRHjd74CL4&feature=related

7. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I agree with Rodney. The electric knife is the way to go. I use a Rapala fillet knife to remove the red meat on the Blues while I'm washing up the fillets.

8. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    I have not tried an electric knife yet but i want to try one ,i know the guy doing it in the video ,it's not the 1st time he has filleted a cat with a electic knife :wink::smile2:

9. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    GO Xtra SLOW, and be careful. They cut like going through butter, but they slown down when you hit bone. It's easy but will take a few fish to get the hang of it, Then you will be carving your HAM's Turckys, and other meats with your electric knife,

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  10. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I love using my electric knife on catfish. You dont even have to pull the skin off which is the part I hate most. just cut off the fillet lay it skin down hold onto the skin cut it off. Like posted already a little dull works better for me cause it doesnt cut through the skin when you dont want it to. I kinda like the ones you can hook to your boat battery so I can clean em on the lake.

11. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I use an electric knife to filet everything. It is so much easier than skinning them and eating around the bones.

12. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    So.....what's a good brand and what do they cost. Last time I looked they were about $50 for a 12v and $90 for cordless.

13. cattoon

cattoon Member

State:
    alabama
    and it works just fine

14. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    ME TOO.

15. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I got a cheapo from Walmart, for my B-day. I have a hard time holding a regular filet knife, and the wife got tired of me complaining. Anyway once I got on to it, it has made a huge difference. I can hold onto it, and it's a lot faster. I'm probably going to get me a better model one day, I have noticed that the handle gets hot after a while, and it needs to cool off a bit. Later Andy

16. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    I purchased mine from BASS PRO CATALOG with my rewards points. $21.99, A few years ago, it cost less then and mine came with a 7" and a 9" serrated blades.
    Now It only comes with the 7" blade, you have to order the 9" seperate
    7" Blade= 8.99
    9" Blade= 9.49
    It's nice to have both sizes so you can use on different size fiish.
    ALSO NOTE:
    The sale of all dangerous knives is restricted by law in New Jersey, New York, Michigan, California, and Illinois.
    They can't ship to these states, but you still can but at the stores.:)confused2::roll_eyes::crazy:)

17. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I just started using en electric knife, and,, It's the only way to go..:wink:

I never thought I'd say that, but, it is just slick...:big_smile:

18. liplifter

liplifter New Member

State:
    indiana
    I use one on all fish,makes 100 bluegill or crappie go alot faster great on cat's and salmon/steelhead sized fish also

19. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I bought the cordless Rapala model without the changeable battery pack. Running continuously it runs about 25 minutes with a full charge, enough for me to do my own mess of fish, like 25 bluegills or 10 catfish. The fine detail work like removing the rib bones I do with a regular fillet knife. I wish I would have gotten the other model with the battery packs and separate charger, although it cost more. Several times my knife has gone dead before I was done. I found the same model I bought on sale for 1/2 price, so I bought another one for the extra charged knife to use on those big trips. The battery pack model is the way to go with cordless if I had to do it again.

20. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Ive been using the same American Angler "plug in from wally world" for about a year now and its the only way to go, No telling how many hundreds of pounds of fish that knife has cleaned...:wink:
    Puddle