Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good electric fillet knife that can go through a Bowfin's skin. Anybody got a good recommendation? I'll be honest and say I'm trying to stay away from Bubba blade products, not a fan of Teflon coated cutlery 馃槀

Premium Member
I cannot attest to it being sufficient to fillet a Bowfin but my son bought me a Rappla rechargeable, while it came with two batteries I have never needed to change them out while filleting catfish. I don't keep anything over 20lb. and it is rare to keep over 4 at a time so I don't actually know how long a battery would last. I will never go back to being tethered with an electric cord while filleting fish again.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yep they're pretty tasty imo...if you don't fillet them pretty quick the meat gets soft and it becomes a pain in the backside to fight mushy meat and that tough skin...the meat firms up pretty good if you deep fry it but it makes really tasty fish cakes (one of best tasting fish I've made them with)...can't freeze it or put I. The fridge overnight...so we don't eat many a year but the family enjoys it when we do...

Premium Member
We used to eat bowfin, we called em Grinnell's Grandpa liked them I didn't. The following conditions had to be met, they had to be caught early in the spring, Grandpa had a water temp. cut off but I don't know what it was and as spokey alluded to we had to be ready to call it quits for the day as getting them cleaned and on ice quickly seemed to be key. I guess if one lived through the depression (which I didn't but Grandpa did) his taste was easier to satisfy.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was looking at the American angler ones...they got enough motor on them to power through thick rib bones and skin?

Registered
I was looking at the American angler ones...they got enough motor on them to power through thick rib bones and skin?
yep. i got the one with 5 or 6 different blades. will wack clean through a hybrid wiper like butter.

Registered
Aaron from Indiana
There seems to be a lot of haters for the Bubba. I was at my neighbor's last night while he and another friend fileted 50 panfish, running an American Angler corded and Bubba cordless side by side. He loves his Bubba and from what I saw I may get one myself sometime down the road.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts