Electric fence

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ka_c4_boom, Dec 18, 2006.

1. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    does any one know how much electricity an electric fence uses over a months time ? theres one here on this farm and it runs 24 7 its a good 1/4 mile or more of fence .

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Can't say how much juice runs through them but I know they hurt when you get ahold of them and not know they are on. They used to run off a battery don't know now. Just don't wee wee on it :eek:oooh: You'll be sorry.:that_hurt:

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    5-6 dollars a month to run 20 miles of fence.
    Of course it will vary based on what you are charged per kilowatt hour.

4. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Charles, very little.. something like 10 watts = 7 KWH @ month for several miles of fence. Probably less than a dollar a month but according to how much your power cost. They only send a charge out in a pulse or intermittent.

When I was a kid we had one that run off a car 6 volt battery. Now days you they are solar/battery, battery or 120 ac.

I posted a little late on this. LOL

5. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    It depends on the setting. And the voltage. There are varity's of electric fences on the market. What's the name and how many strands of wire are running? 1,2 or 3?

6. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    We run about 1 mile of electric 1.5" Horse Braid here and we run it with a 10 Mile Unit so there is more power running through it to keep the Horses at bay, Trust me it hurts like &%$# when you get hit with it, the horses seem to learn real fast not to ever challenge it unlike us humans who sometimes are not so bright..:wink: It is on a Pulse and the booklet shows it to only be a few bucks a month. Well worth the money but again it depends on the amount of current, the solar units are only suggested for less then 250 feet of wire since the further you run it the more resistance you will have. You can buy 1 mile, 5 mile, 10 mile or 50 mile units, all using more current then the prior ones and then ther eis the quality of the wire/braided tape which will also depend on how much current you have, we put up ours with the mediocre stuff first and the quality stuff later and it didnt work at all so we switched it to the quality stuff first ( from the transformer) and it had enough current left to get through the entire length so buy quality stuff, not the cheapest they have. Ours is from Tractor Supply Store.

Hope this helps,
    Salmonid

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    They also come in varying outputs. Long haired cattle and goats need alot more juice to keep them at bay. Some fencers put out as much as 4000 volts.