Electric deep fryers

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i am thinking about getting one, as my propane fryer is seasonal....can't use it in the rain or snow. i get nervous deep frying with open flames indoors, so i want electric. i doubt the cheap ones (20 to 50$) will be up to par. i am thinking of getting an anvil brand. i would like some advice and opinions on this. it is a little pricey, but this price is maybe 50 bucks below retail, considering no freight or tax.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7561060876

i also like the 2 basket idea. i can do fish and hush puppies, or any 2 foods, at the same time

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    We've got one that I really like, except for one 'feature', which I absolutely hate. That feature is a magnetic connection between the unit and the power cord. It doesn't make good contact, requiring that I prop something against it to maintain contact, and even then I frequently lose the connection and have to mess with it till I get power back to the unit. When I have power, I really like the way the unit works; dial in the temperature I want, and a light indicates when the oil is at that temperature.
    I wouldn't like having a double basket model because I like to be able to have different temperatures when cooking different things. For instance, I cook french fries at a cooler temp than fish. Having two separate units works better for me.

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
  4. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have one that is a single basket. Euro ProX that we got at Sears. Its been a good one so far. Looks like the one in Phils pic but single basket.
    jtrew that is the only thing I dont like about mine, magnetic connection on back.
    It can be bumped loose.

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    The little Frydaddy I have has that stupid mag connection too. I guess it's supposed to be a safety feature, but when the grease is hot and it comes undone I'd think safety is out the window when you have to try to reconnect that thing. And it does fall off now and then.

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have 2 from Wal-Mart, One has 2 baskets and the other only has 1. I use the 1 basket the most as it will do a blooming onion.
    WE cook a lot in ours and theres not been any problems with them .
    Been using them for close to 2 years.

I looked the same one you are looking at. And desided I would try these out.
    PEte

7. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Phil, we have the one that Dawg posted this link to
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3946734

It is the double basket type but we want to get a single basket also. We love ours and have used it for right at a year now and have had no problems at all and it is very easy to clean.

8. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    The unit that TDawg showed is great for occasional use and would probably last a long time - can't beat the price difference - Remember, you get what you pay for - Like the difference between a Zebco 33 and a 6000 Aubau

The unit you showed in a comercial unit like they use in restaurants and food stands at the fair - If you use it more then twice a week then I would go for it for several reasons:
    1-with care you will never buy another one
    2-no plastic - easier to maintain - easier to clean - built heavier
    3-A city is a top notch company who stand behind what they sell and they only sell quality - I have bought from them and they sell at competitive prices - shipping is free - that would normaly cost $50, the cost of the other units -
    4-If you deside you don't want it anymore the resale is great compared to the $50 units that you would only get $5 at a rummage sale

If you got the bucks, I would get it!

9. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    ......Lowes has a very nice stainless steel one for $99........it looks like a minature industrial deep frier......im not sure the manufacturer, but it looks like a great quality.....

10. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    We bought one of the electric fry GRAND DADDY'S when they first came out about 10 years ago and it's still good as new..the regular fry daddy just wasn't big enough for us.

This GRAND DADDY electric deep fryer has been used at least once a week ever since we bought it. We do shrimp, fish, hushpuppies, egg rolls, french fries, everything you can imagine and never had a problem.. Also ours doesn't have any magnetic connection. Just double prong cord connection.

Jesse

11. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Phil-those look like a good quality fryer you have picked out.I read it pretty close,they have a hinged element(easy to replace) and a lift out tub(makes it easy to filter and clean)

If you deep fry at least 2-3 times a week,I would think its a good choice,its 110 so you can use it year round and sell the propane to help defray costs

12. shadow

shadow New Member

Unless you are cooking for a mob of people just use a cast iron Dutch oven on your kitchen stove. It works well for us.