Electric Anchor Winches

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by reel pleasure, May 18, 2006.

1. reel pleasure

reel pleasure New Member

State:
    New jersey
    Been lookin at the powerwinch and minkota electric anchor winches in cabelas for the past couple months.
    Anyone have or used these before?Curious to know how they hold up and if they could be used easily in strong current,mostly concerned with retreiving the anchor.

I have a 16 foot boat but i would go with the model thats rated for 24 foot and able to lift 32 pound river/mushroom anchors.My anchor is prolly 12-15 pounds but due to the current flow where i fish i think i'd be better off with a tougher winch than what my boat is recomended for.

Also concerend with the thickness of anchor line that is used with these.The line on my anchor now is 1/2 inch,but the pictures i'm lookin at in the book seem much smaller,possibly 1/8 of an inch which raises another concern about useing this in strong current with basketball sized rocks for a bottom.

2. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    I have a 12 volt winch I bought for pulling my boat on the trailer but I did not like it and took it back. A friend then gave me another one and I am thinking of putting it on the front of my boat to haul my anchor in. I will replace the cable that comes with the winch with a 1/2 nylon line. I to fish a river with a current and would not even think about using 3/8 line, let alone 1/8" line. My boat is an 18 footer. Those anchor retriving systems you are looking at usually used on bass boats and are installed below decking. They are used for mooring much more then anchoring. Of coarse I would call Cabela and ask these questions of them. They are pretty good at letting you know whats what. I don't know your finance's but Harbor Freight , Wal-Mart, and others sell a small 2000 12volt winch for 49 -59 dollars. Again replace the cable with a nylon line. This would have to be bolted to the front of your boat, or rear which ever type of boat style you have and what else you use your boat for. The one from Wal-marts can be dis-mounted real easy if taking the family out for the day. There is also a 20 foot remote for operating the winch. There is only a small plate left that your winch attaches to. Help this at least give you some food for thought.

3. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I have three of the Minn-Kota 20 lb anchors and they are OK but a couple things you should know. If you fish deep water they are slow as all get out going down and slower coming up. In 20 feet of water going down a good 10 seconds which doesn't sound bad until the wind is blowing and your losing position every second. Coming up, even worse I would say 30+ seconds to come up 20 feet and I'm only guessing as I have never timed it but they are slow. That's the biggest problem just slow up and down. I replaced the lead filled mushroom anchor with a lead filled "claw" anchor from Walmart and it works better but you can't lock it in when your traveling. The other thing is they wear down a battery fast as they are geared low and take a lot out of a battery in a hurry. I used one yesterday on a pond and I think I brought it up and down 8 times in 20 feet of water and used a trolling motor to go maybe 3/4 of a mile total and the battery was running down when I got in. To bad 20 lbers wouldn't work, I have two in a box out in the garage.

4. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Thanks for your post. I was contemplating purchasing one myself. You just helped me make my decision. I guess I should be thankful that I still have the ability to pull the anchor in myself.

5. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I think we had a sponsor at one time that showed a anchor retrieval system. If someone rembers maybe they could post a link.

6. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Joe, This is all you will ever need and it is a whole lot cheaper and it will work with your 1/2" rope. I love mine and I use 5/8 rope. Just be carefull at night or you could run over your anchor rope like I did and lost 100' of rope and the anchor...LOL

http://www.ironwoodpacific.com/products/anchorlift.asp

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Due to my back injury, I can not pull on an anchor rope much. I bought two of the electric anchor retrievers for my boat. I did not like them at all. They do use alot of battery power, they are slow going down, well, I did not like them!! May they will work well for someone else but for me they get a NO GO.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The small electric winches and anchor retreivers I've seen all had a very limited line capacity, especially for a line with a large diameter like rope. I've got a 1500# winch on my flatbed trailer, and I bet it won't hold 40' of 3/8" rope. If you have, or intend to buy, a winch or anchor retreiver, you may want to consider using plastic coated wire cable. Wire cable with only 1/8" diameter has a breakage strength of 2000#; with a rode this strong, I'd attach the anchor with something less strong so I could break it off if the anchor got permanently hung on bottom. Remember, the swifter the current, the more line you must let out between the anchor and the boat. If there's much current, a 7 to 1 ratio is recommended; that means that anchoring in 30' of water will require more than 200' of anchor line.
    Another option is to install a capstan winch, which doesn't require that the rope or cable be wound up on a shaft or spool. You use the same rope you normally would, and coil it up on the deck or in a bucket as you normally would as you pull it in. The capstan winch simply does 95% of the pulling for you. If you look them up on the internet, don't be shocked if you see some outrageous price tag; some companies make these for million dollar sailing yachts; others make them for us normal people...welllllll, maybe I'm not normal, but you know what I mean. I've seen them priced at around $100, but it took a little looking.

Attached Files:

9. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    I can vouch personally for the anchor retrevial system made by Ironwood Pacific. It is definately the only thing you will ever need. Simple to use, just read the instructions and follow the directions.

10. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Joe I Love mine. You will be amazed! The neatest gadget I've ever put on a boat. The one on my 14ft. is almost ten years old. Out of the box, on the boat, no problem with it at all. I bought another one rated for my 16ft. took it off and use it now on my 19ft. I sold the 16ft. I modified it a little for mounting Here is a pic to see what I did. Don't worry bro they are exactly what they say!
    Don

Attached Files:

11. reel pleasure

reel pleasure New Member

State:
    New jersey
    well,i decided on trying out power winch/deckmate 40
    lifts up to a 40 pound anchor,or so it says.
    Now i'm a lil surprised to hear they are slow going down,that got me a lil startled.I seen a couple boats round here with em and looked as though they dropped the same has letting it out by hand.
    Only thing i did not like about this power winch was the thickness of line,but it says its rated for 800 pounds of pulling,LOL,we'll see!
    Its returnable if i ain't satisfied with it,so thats good thing.

I've seen them anchor lifts before but my reason for the winch is to NOT leave the seat,yes i am lazy and when i move alot,lifting the anchor gets to hurting my back for the next couple days.

Only other concern i have is locking/stowing the anchor upon retreival.Worse comes to worse i'm sure i could make something that will secure it once its up.As is,i don't think the winch is capable of keeping the anchor in place,especially if i start motoring off to another hole.

Once i get it,i'll take a couple pics of it and let ya know how it works or doesn't work.

Sorry to hear ya lost yer line,thats about the only thing i haven't done at night....LMAO
    trolled into the bridge piling the other night
    hehehe
    then into a boat ,almost,I did hit my buddys boat though.But its a new trolling motor and likely too much thrust for my boat.Still gettin used to it.

12. dudlbugr

dudlbugr New Member

State:
    Cleveland, AL
    Do these anchor winches have a shearing ability? Reason I ask is, if you are anchored in a river such as the Arkansas or Mississippi, it is not uncommon for logs to be carried underwater by the current. If a big enough log comes along, with enough current, and hangs the winch cable just right, it could take the boat down. I'd rather lose 50 ft of small rope and an anchor than I would the whole boat, and possibly my life. I know my anchor rope can be broken, cause I've done it more than once.

I agree with Jtrew that the capstain is the way to go. Jerry, where did you find the 1 for around $100? I looked about 6 months ago, and all of them I found were in the $250 to $400 range, so $100 doesn't sound all that bad!

With a capstain, you wrap your rope around it several times, and start pulling. All you do is keep the line snug, and pile the rope in the bottom of the boat. Capacity is limited by how much rope it takes to sink your boat!

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Reb, all I can tell you is that I did a Google search for them. Most were priced at several hundred dollars, a few were even priced at over $1000, but I did find a few in the $100-125 range. Just beat the bushes. You have to remember that most manufacturers are making these things for people who feel that a half million dollar 40' sailboat is small & cheap. I just spent about 5 minutes looking and found this site. Good prices, but they're out of stock.
    http://www.iboats.com/mall/?view_id=239657&category_id=239657&dz=4522

14. reel pleasure

reel pleasure New Member

State:
    New jersey
    Theres been a couple houses floatin down river on the deleware and yes after heavy rains theres lots an lots of debris.Mostly small logs,but there are a few trees at times.I mean trees,everything but the rootball,LOL

I been hit a few times with large logs or trunks and each time the anchor broke free,or i get banged pretty hard and it floats on by.

Finally got this thing set up and it werks like a charm!

Only disappointment so far is the darn thing is big,didn't quite expect it to be so large.Had a hard time figurin where to kjount the trollin motor,but it all werked out.Close,but it werks.

This baby has 100 foot of rope,drops pretty quick,seem to drop as fast as by hand,maybe a tick slower.I was a lil worried about that.In deeper water it is a bit slow retrievin the anchor,or so it seemed.Still its pretty close to retreiving it by hand and alot less werk.Hell,i never left the seat and thats what i got it for!

Heres a couple before and after pics.

Came with all the wiring,about 20ft and the connectors.A toggle switch for up n down,and a 25 amp circuit breaker/fuse to protect motor.

Attached Files:

15. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Joe, That baby looks nice. It sure makes me want one. Is that the deckmate 40 you were talking about?

ST