Electric Anchor Winch

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Stubby, May 3, 2007.

1. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    I've been wanting to add a power lift to my anchor for a year. The first one I ordered was Deck Mate 19 which came in damaged by UPS. after a month of hasseling with them I finally got credit and ordered another one. This time on the recomendations of some BOC members I ordered the #25. We fish mostly shallow water, 10 ft and under but we move often and usually find some fish. The boat is a Tracker 16ft, stick steer, 35hp Merc. and had came with a hand crank winch winder mounted low on the side where I had to get down on my knees to wind the rear winch in. I'm an Old Man and finally got tired of the hassle. Here are some pictures of my new winch set up. Good-Bad or Indifferent I Think it will help my disposition at the end of the day!! I had to build up the rear mount up a couple inches to get the anchor up out to the water when moving. the switch is up front by the throttle. Anchor has a safety chain for when trailering. I also added some trailer guide on.

Attached Files:

2. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Here are the trailer guide ons. Believe it or not Sara is the boat loader and I gotta make it convenient for Her..The Wind always blows in Kansas.

Attached Files:

3. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    I will most likely by adding an Anchormate to my boat in the very near future. Having one powered would sure be nice!

Your setup looks good but I would sure be careful with that stern mounted anchor! In fast moving water you could find yourself in trouble real quick!

_

4. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Tony we aren't ever in fast water where we would be using the stern anchor but you're right could get in trouble easy. Basspro had the best prices. $131.94 delivered. I did have to buy 20 ft of 12 gage wire tho. another $6.00.
    I hate to have it sticking out the back but I honestly couldn't fight the anchor anymore. I'll probably have one on the front to before long.

5. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    That really doesn't seem like that is much money. Especially when a new hand cranked Anchormate will set you back $75+.

Right now I am hauling up my anchor by hand. THAT is getting very old fast! Thanks for making this post. It's given me something to think about.

Tony

_

6. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Electric Anchor Winch. Yes! If and when I ever get a chance to repair the bass boat I have inherited, that will be high on the list.

Aside from the hassle of pulling/throwing one by hand, it is just a darn handy place to keep your anchor.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Carl your boat looks like a panfish 16 that I have . I have a front anchor on it and it works fine. I believe your anchor is larger and I like your installiation. Good Luck.:lol: :smile2:

8. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Carl,
    I also have a panfish 16 with a 40hp mercury.
    Several years ago I had electric anchors on my other boat, I really like them.
    You could operate both front and rear anchors from the front seat without getting up and walking to the back of the boat.
    Can the ones you ordered be set up that way?
    Been thinking about putting some on my boat.
    Thanks!
    Note: Mickey why is it that the best fishermen own boats like ours?:lol: :smile2:

9. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    i got a buddy down here named carter .
    built him a wench outa a john deere starter.
    no reduction gear , only a big sprocket for the cable .
    did all this cause pullin an anchor, he was not able ...
    on the trial run, he throws out the anchor,
    lets it hit bottom , then turns on the starter.
    fore he could stop the rewind,
    he was one wet carter !!!!!!!!!

lmao !!!!!! true story , just the guys name wasn't carter ..............
    and i ain't no poet either !!!

10. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    i been thinkin about usin a ford big block starter myself :lol:

11. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    John the anchor is on the back and the up/down switch is right up front by my shifter, I'm still throwing the front one out by hand but not for long I think. the switch can be mounted anywhere you want it. It's power up free fall down. Took me a couple hours to mount it-I could mount one now in a hour easy.

12. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Mickey sorry I didn't answer your question--Yes it is a panfish 16, stick steer & a 35 hp merc. I'm not as excited about the stick steer as I thought I would be but it's handy to fish out of-just slower steering than a wheel. Sara don't like it ,shes used to a car reaction and her mind don't connect the forward & back to left & right. Really screws her up when backing the boat.

13. Whiskeyriver

Whiskeyriver New Member

State:
    WA
    Nice setuo you got there.

14. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Stubby,
    Thanks for the reply that pretty much answers my concern will look at ordering a couple shortly.
    The stick steering does take some getting use to but what I like about it is you don't have to get up and down and go to diffrent seats when you get ready to fish.

15. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I can see one in a few months or so. As I would like to have one on the back of the boat. May try to fix it up where It's on a quick release. That way I can move it from boat to boat.
    Also Have a 17'7" War-eagle tiller that I am thinking about turning into a tiller boat. Like the ideal of not having to get up to fish. Just sit in one place and enjoy the day.
    Pete

16. terryl

terryl New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    What about an ATV winch from Wal Mart it is about $70

Terry

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Just got a flyer yesterday. Harbor Freight Tools has a 2000# winch for $50.

18. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    There You go Jerry, couldn't beat that price or power.

19. ducatidragon916

ducatidragon916 New Member

State:
    California
    I am glad to have found this forum. I am in the process of adding an Anchor roller and electric winch to bring the anchor up and down automatically instead of dragging the anchor and dropping it into the water and retrieving everytime while I am on the water. My boat is relatively small for this..model 1952 19' foot Bayliner with cuddy cab. I am waiting to get the units in the mail and I will post images of the progress for anyone who is interested in. Any advice? please comment!! Thanks!!!!! GEO:big_smile:

P.S. I think those ATV winches are too slow as they move about 6 feet per minute while the other types move 65 feet per minute with less torque.

20. snd1990

snd1990 New Member

State:
    VA
    nice set up i am working on something like that for my boat