Electric anchor systems

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by wolfman, Nov 20, 2007.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I dont see where there are very many members using a electric anchor system. Would like to hear some pros and cons for river use.

2. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    I dont use them myself mainly due to the price of them but several of the local fisherman here do. Ive been out with a couple guys that had them and I thought they were simply the greatest thing since sliced bread, mainly because I didnt have to raise and lower the anchor everytime we moved. The one on this boat was the Minn Kota brand and as I said, It worked great. Most who use them here just have them on the front of the boat with a secondary anchor and line in the back if needed. This one I saw only had about a 15 pound anchor on it, that to my surprise, held very well. All he had to do was hit a button and up come the anchor, hands free. I highly reccommend them. If I could afford one, Id have one. rspd507

3. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a Deckhand 25 on the front of my boat. My biggest complaint is it only holds 60 ft of line, hard to get enough line out to stay anchored sometimes.

I wouldn't trade mine in for anything, except one that holds more line!

It's ok as long as the water isn't too deep, but in deep water, when you get hit with a wake it tends to pop the anchor loose because you can't get enough line out and the line is pulled almost straight up.

The newer Deckhand 40 from MinnKota holds 100 feet, that would probably help some.

4. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Walter,
    I have the Minnkota Deckhand 40 on my boat,and don't know how I ever got along without it before. When you get to be my age you need to take advantage of everything you can to save on the old body. I've had it for 3 yrs. now and it was well worth the money that it cost me. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Glenn

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Those Minn Kota's look pretty good at under $300. I was looking about 6 months back and all I could find were well over a thousand dollars.

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Have to agree with Dave and Glenn, also have the 40, and yes the only bad thing would have to be the line amount, but that is to far and few for me to worry, I could not live with out that little toy. Best gift I ever got from the kid and Momma! You won't be sorry, if ya get one.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Walter I have two on my boat. Front and back.Sure takes the work our of fishing. Especially if you move alot. I mainly use the front one. Would also like more rope capacity.Worth the money spent.

8. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    I have the 25 and kinda wish i had gotten the 40. We move a lot also and I was killing myself draggin in the back anchor, the front one is no problem to get in. When we pull up to a spot I drop the elect one in the back and then pull up to where I want to set and then ease out the front one kinda straight down. It's really a help if you move a lot or are buy yourself.

9. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I don't have an anchor winch, but I do own an Ironwood Pacific anchor retreval bouy. Best $75 I've spent in a long time.

10. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I too have the Ironwood anchor retrieval system, handerier than a pocket on a tee shirt and better than sliced bread. Very easy to use.

11. Houdini

Houdini New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I bought a Trac Anchor winch from Bass Pro, about $100.00 handle's up to 25-pnd anchor, came with 100' rope. Best item for the $, I take my sons fishing alot & they have trouble pulling the anchor up. This solved our problems, allows us to have more fishing time. Good Luck with your decision.

12. tennessee blues

tennessee blues New Member

State:
    Fort Bragg, North Carolina
    I've been looking at an easier way to pull my 30# river anchor and had considered the deckhand 40. I was very impressed however with the anchorlift bouy. Some of the guides I fished with in Alaska used it and insisted it was the way to go. After a little research, I agree. There is no need to mount it to your boat, it weighs next to nothing and it doesn't drain your battery(ies). Also, if you have to chase a monster down the river, just untie your anchor line and give it a toss. After you net (photograph and release) your fish, hook back up to your anchor line and put bait back on the same structure. The cost is MUCH less and it is guaranteed for life.

Shayne

13. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i hope to get one maybe 2 for my toon!!!

14. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    What does this anchorliftbuoy look like, or better yet where are you guys lookng at them at? just curious haven't seen on yet

15. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have an Ironwood anchor retrieval system. I havent even used it yet. I really like the Minkota Anchor Mate 40.

Here aer some questions I have:

1.) Have you guys ever had your anchor snag up while using this? If so, what happened?

2.) If you've ever had an anchor snag, what happens to the line? Can you buy more line to put in the winch?

16. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I had 35 lb anchor winch on my pontoon. But if fell apart on me using it on the river below the dam. The thing I didn't like about it was, 3/16" anchor rode, and you could only fit 100' on it. Now I've got a Powerwinch Capstan 1000! You can use whatever size rode you want, and any length. http://www.windlass-anchor.com/pow77099.html
    I haven't had a chance to install it yet. But it sure looks nice. :big_smile: With a 1000 lbs of pulling power, either the anchors coming up, or the boats going under. LOL

17. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've had my anchor get snagged,and all I do is let out a little slack line and get the boat above the anchor and it pulls right out of the snag.

You can put replacement line on if you want or need to. I have had mine on my boat for 3 yrs. and haven't had to replace it yet.

Hope this helps you out,but if you have any more questions let me know.

18. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    always have to tell this story when i hear anchor/winch conversations ... old boy here made him a winch out of a case tractor starter , put a big pulley on the starter and some rope and ran a push button starter switch to the console ....... thank goodness he tested it in the lake , right at the ramp , cause that is where he went straight down , bow first ...... touched the button and down she went !!!!!!!!!:smile2:

19. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
  20. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    My minn kota quit on me and during my removal of the cowling I pulled some of the wires loose from the spade connectors. I found the problem (bad ground) but now don't know the proper connections. Don't want to short out something. Anybody got a wire diagram or can tell about the connections?