Electric Anchor Retrievers - How do you like yours

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Catfish_Commando, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Anybody have one of those electric anchor retrievers mounted on there boat?

How do you like it, and have you run into any problems?

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I had the MinnKota deckhand, the one where you fill the anchor with lead shot. It was ok for my old small bass boat in lakes. My 18 ft river jon would not like it much. First off, it only can lift 15 pounds. It used only 1/4 in line and only would load 85 feet of that. All this and it was slow to pull in the anchor. Now, agreed, it was over ten years ago and I am sure they have improvements on that model and the others that have come out in that time. However, fishing the Mississippi River with the Kutters Katter requires more than I think they could provide. I need quick lift of at least a 20 lb anchor and 200 ft of 1/2 in rope. I have seen the type that were made for rigging a sailboat, that could handle that, but not the regular anchor types.

3. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Paul I had on and the only problem is you need to keep slack out of the rope. I removed a portion of the cover so I could see it from the drivers seat. You can put a switch anywhere but I liked it at stearing. If I did it again I would also have a switch at the motor also. I also bought the size bigger than what my boat called for and would get at least that size or bigger.

Danny

4. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Paul.....I also had a knife mounted at the motor, just in case. I always tried to put of at least 10 feet of line for every foot of depth.

Danny

5. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    i have the min-kota 40 with 20lb river anchor on it i've only used it about 4 times and so far no problems of course i'm still getting use to it.

6. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    paul i have the big deckhands front an back they will lift 40lb anchors i have used them 3yrs i have had no problems with them they hold 100ft of rope they have two switches one at the motor one on the helm but you know me i drift 95% of the time i use anchor ball with my river anchor

7. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    After using an anchor winch, It would be hard to go back to pulling anchor by hand. started out with a trac35, then when I got the seaArk, I got the MinnKota 40 with the remote mounted right at the console. I might be lazy, but I don't hear anybody complaining about doing anchor duty on my boat when we go out, either. LOL

Far as problems, the only thing that has failed has been the 3/16ths rope that comes with them. But I expected that after seeing the rope. I upgraded to the 1/4" double braided rope and haven't had any problems since. They don't use too awful much juice. I can go all weekend on 1 battery easily.

Pretty good investment far as I'm concerned.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't anchor often enough to make it worthwhile rigging one up on my boat, but if that ever changes, I'll go with the capstan-type puller, where you simply take a couple or three turns around a turning capstan (spindle). It's not as automatic as a regular anchor retriever, but since the rope doesn't wind up on the shaft, there's no limit on how long or how big around your rope can be. They're not cheap, but it seems to me that you could rig one up from an automobile starter motor.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I agree. Windlass is a better tool for the job.
    Rope size isn't limited and your anchor weight can be on up there.
    You can sink a boat with a windlass.

Istill say Paul is getting fat and lazy with that rocking chair check. I think he needs to go down to the post office and apply for some double dipping.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Paul there is nothing wrong with enjoying fishing to the fullness. Get you a couple of the 40s and don't look back. You will be glad you did. Never had a problem with the elect anchor system.

11. Iablue

Iablue New Member

State:
    IOWA
    I have one on the front, a Minnkota, and I do like it. Have used it 10+ yrs with no problems. I did put a river anchor on it though. Have to be careful of snags as it is powerful enough to pull the nose of my boat down to an uncomfortable angle when pulling in. Good luck.

12. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    You know, you guys are all assuming he wants it to put on a boat and lift an anchor.
    I rather think he wants it for the house to help him get that big ol' wallet into his ass pocket when Betty isn't around to give a hand.
    Come on boss, fess up, you can tell us:wink:...W

13. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have had DeckHand 25's on my last 2 boats. Had great luck with both of them. The only beef I have is my old 25 had a remote switch but the new one does not. I think the DeckHand 40 has a remote though.

14. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I think you will find an auto starter is way too fast for that job.

Maybe just a cheap winch made for a 4 wheeler???

have a good 1
    just

15. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have also been considering a anchor winch. Has anyone tried the winches made by "Trac"? Their Fisherman 25 can handle up to a 25 lbs anchor which should hold my 16 ft boat.

Wooly