electric anchor mates

Discussion in 'Boating' started by mark29860, Dec 17, 2008.

1. mark29860

mark29860 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Does anyone use Minn Kota deck mates on their boat. I think their only good for mushroom anchors,also seems like a way to keep your anchors off the floor. thanks

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Roundhill uses them on his pontoon with richter anchors, if I'm not mistaken. He once told me they work really well. Shoot him a pm if you like. :big_smile:

3. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Yeap! After seeing Roundhills in action I'd love to have one on front and back.

4. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I use the Minn Kota Deckhand 40 on the bow of my boat,and love it. I fish by myself alot and it saves me a lot of work,running back and forth,raising and lowering anchor. I'm using a 20#river anchor on mine now. I think you can use about any type anchor that you want to on them,not just the mushroom anchors.

5. catfishchris

catfishchris Active Member

State:
    missouri
    I fish a lot by myself and after a long day on the water the anchor flat wears me out. Last year I put a powerwinch 25 anchor winch on my boat and I love it. I use a 20 pound box anchor and it works fine. Now I can save all of my energy to fight the fish. The only drawback I have found is the rope that comes on the winch. It is small and if you get hung up bad, sometimes the rope will break before you get the anchor back. However, I still think it is a good investment!

6. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i would love to have one but the ones i have seen dont hold enough rope to fish the ohio river when he have current.. we need one that will hold atleast 200ft of 5/16 rope minimum..

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I would have to say it was the best thing I ever put on the boat for fishing, Also have the DH 40 and use a river anchor.....

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Check out using wire cable instead of rope. I would guess that you could easily get by with 1/8" cable; that's what I used on the lifting jacks for my first overhead pickup camper. Another option would be to use a capstan style winch, where you simply take a turn or two of the rope around the capstan as it turns, and let the rope pile up in a bucket as the anchor comes in. The rope is never permanently attached to the capstan; it works solely by the friction of the one or two loops around it. This is widely used for raising sails on sailboats.

9. gofish98

gofish98 New Member

State:
    Lafayette Indiana
    I've got the deckhand 40 and love it ! I have a 20lb river anchor and it works great . it's rated for a 20lb to 40lb anchor . I also have the minnkota remote switch , that I mounted right next to the shifter , so I can work the anchor from the drivers seat . I fish the walbash river most of the time so 100 feet of rope is plenty long . If you fish in 50ft+ water with current , it'll be pretty rough to use at best . I've used mine in 50ft of water with lite current lots of times and it works great . mine is three years old and i use the heck out of it, if it died tomorow , I'd get another one before I went fishing agian .

10. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    i use anchor mate 40 front an back they work great i have used them on the Ohio Cumberland mississippi pd santee copper Tenn rivers for three yrs they work great an no more than i use them they should last the rest of my life or for at lest 25yr then ill give them to pop pop the roundhill

11. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    do these electric ancors get in the way when casting for bait? a lot of times when the current is bad we ancor front and back of the boat, i guess one could be mounted on the back also? are you using mushroom or what type of ancor?

12. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    on advice from roundhill I have Minn Kota DH 40 on my pontoon on front. Works great and is lot less in way than I expected. I use 30 lb river anchor. I have not figured how to mount one on back of my boat yet but am working on it. Remote at the cockpit is great. The Trac model winch is junk. Attached a picture. It allows me to fish because one time of raising the anchor I am done if have do it by hand.

Attached Files:

13. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    For those that have the Minnkota DH40, I have some questions.

How is the anchor deployed? What I mean is it just released and drops into the water or does the winch lower it?
    Also, how fast does it retrieve the anchor?
    Are they quiet or noisy?
    I would love the conveiniance though I'm affraid If I buy it I won't like it for being to slow or noisy.
    There have been many times out fishing where I had to pull up anchor NOW due to a tree or other debris coming down river.:angry:

14. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Dave, the DH is power up, and down, it doesn't just freewheel. As far as speed, I don't know the actual FPM but its not bad, probably takes 2-3 min.to take up 100 feet, might be a little slow for gettn out of the of something, but I dont think a person could pull much faster. Little bit of noise, but not bad there either. IMO the ease and convenience far outweigh the any shortcomings.

15. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    My D/H 40 is as fast up as even young man could pull a rope for very long in my opinion. It does power down but has no backlash and stops when hits bottom. If you leave it unlocked it will keep letting out rope as boat pulls on it. Lock and it stops until you go up or let out more. It is super nice to be able to release and stow the anchor from the cockpit or from front of toon. Noise on my boat is just enough to tell it is working. Have not used it in fast current so..........dodge?????

16. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Thanks guys. I think i'll pick one up this winter and get it on the boat before spring.
    I run 2-30# river anchors and pulling up anchors gets old fast. My back ain't what she use ta be. If ya know what I mean?

I think I could easily sway the wife into letting me drop the dough for one or two of these units. All I will have to say is: Hun, time to pull up anchor!
    She hates anchors, especially 30#ers.:big_smile:

17. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Guys, I almost bought one of these (Min Kota 40#) last year but got afraid when someone told me that the winch itself could sink my boat if it got hung up on a snag. Is there any truth to this?

Can someone tell me what its like when you do get it hung up?

Thanks a ton!

18. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I don't see how it would sink your boat if you saw you got hung, just turn it off right?

19. heyop_erator

heyop_erator New Member

State:
    Kansas
    We just got a different boat. I'm going to get good at handling the boat and let him pull up the anchor.Then I'll buy him one for of these for my birthday! lol
    THANKS GUYS

20. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I think ill hook up the old farm winch untill hey op gets tired of cranking,lol