Elastics to keep bait on the hook?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Catfish bait, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Catfish bait

Catfish bait New Member

State:
    manitoba
    I was wondering if you could use elastics to keep your bait on the hooks, so I wouldn't have to worry about it comming of on a cast. Would the catfish react any way to the elastic being there, or would they not even notice it?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Don't see your name any where so I can't use it. However at A/C Moore there is an elastic sewin thread for sale. been usein it for some time to hold gut pockets in and bait on the hook. I have experienced no negative affects.

3. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    When fishing in swift water below dams , we use rubber bands to hold shad fillets on the hooks. Use a small rubber band run it through the eye of the hook and hook the other end on the barb. Also helps to keep from getting hung on the rocks.

4. Mr. Catfish

Mr. Catfish Member

State:
    Indianapolis, I
    I mentioned this in another thread but they sell this thread called "magic thread", it stretches and sticks to itself so you don't have to tie it off. Hope this helps

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use rubber bands on crawldads,i wrap the rubberband around it then i slip the hook between the rubberband and the crawls body.keeps it alive alot longer and the fish dont seem to mind it.

6. Catfish bait

Catfish bait New Member

State:
    manitoba
    thanks, I like not having to worry about your bait coming off on the cast, or even in the water.

7. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    i use my small extra rubber bands from my braces at the end of each month and they work great for any kind of bait but i normaly use them for liver. the only problem after you catch a cat and the liver is taken most of the time the rubber bands are still there and they are hard to get off and even harder to get the bait back on to use them again.

8. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    go raid your wifes underwear drawer..wait that don't sound right..lol...no i use old pantyhose for livers and stuff like that.just put the liver in there and tie it in a knot and all the blood and smell can still get out.

9. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    On that same note, if you use barbless hooks you can sometimes reuse the same gut/liver/stinkbait poach over and over again. I caught 4 channels last summer on the same liver poach in less then an hour.

10. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mr. Catfish:

What kind of stores sell this "magic thread". I checked my local Wal-Mart. They have some elastic thread, but it's not 'sticky'. If anyone can tell me who carries this product or who the manufacturer is, that would be great.

Ralph

11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Like I said in post #2 Ralph. Get to A/C Moore. Its a craft store. Lots of women there to! LOL! I'm sure any craft type store would have it.

12. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    Magic Thread Or Rubber Bands Work Great

13. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    Have you seen those little bait holders they sell in Walmart that you put the squirty tube stinky stuff in. Those will hold dough balls and also dip bait aswell. Some are called Huckleberrys I thank but there are several kinds like that. The ones I seen and bought are about the same size(thumb size). I wish I could find some big ones that are 4 times that size. they also come in many colors if that matters any to you. I am goin to the treble hook with a spring to hold the dip bait and dough balls on with. Big hooks are hard to find here at the walmart with the springs so I am collectin a bunch of springs that are larger from auto parts and house peaces as I can. I hope I can tell yall how well this works soon. I miss fishin. It seems every time I got time to fish the weather is terrible and when I got to do somethin else it is beautiful out. well I have bent all yalls ears to much I will see yall.

14. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    George:

Thanks for the good advise. We don't have an AC/Moore store in this area, but I have found elastic sewing thread in several other 'sewing' type shops. Even Wal-Mart carries this product and I think it will be useful. However, I'm still looking for the so called "Magic Thread" that is 'sticky' or 'tacky' and will self stick to itself. If anyone know a location for that product, I would certainly appreciate the information.

Ralph

15. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Ralph. I personaly would tend to shy away from things like the tacky stuff and rubberbands, Too many chemicals in them that create a smell. AHHH who knows. LOL!

16. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I use the "magic thread" but the stuff from sewing shop is the same and a lot cheaper! Tip; If you use it to tie liver on and let it dry on the hook it turns to "epoxy":eek:

17. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We used to put spoonbill eggs in panty hose. They stayed on the hook something wonderful! Wish ta blazes it was still legal here, but it ain't!

18. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    George, I've said it before but you are a bad man. I bet you hang out in the produce aisle at the grocery too...c'mon, admit it, you do don't you:p :p ...W