El Reno

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Phil Washburn, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    thinking about going to el reno on a friday evening in 3 or 4 weeks...anyone interested?

2. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Let me know when and I'll be there.

3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    tentatively sept 23rd, david....i will set it for sure by friday week....that work for you?

4. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    david, what did you end up doing to fix your wifes car?

5. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    It still is not fixed. I changed the fuel pump but will not have the extra money/time til 2 weeks from now. The darn fuel presure regulator is about 100$ and I reorganized my company to an Inc. and that took all the extra money I had in savings. Good news is that my audit from the IRS is over..... I think. I may pay someone to fix it in 2 weeks if I am not motivated to mess with it. Until then she is driving my Bronco and I get heartburn thinking of her driving my truck. :cursing:

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    david, my cousin and i are going to el reno this friday evening....come by if you can

7. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    sorry Phil but I can't make it. Got too many houses to paint and not enough time to do it in

8. GS-Rock

GS-Rock New Member

State:
    FORT SILL, OK
    is el reno west of norman?

9. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    GS, elreno is west of okc - it is right on (north) I-40

wish me well boys - i don't have to have a record flat, but a 20+ LBer would be nice

10. Dak2004

Dak2004 New Member

State:
    OKC,Oklahoma
    Phil, how did you do at El Reno? I was out there fri. too. Got to meet Justin Cantrell,nice guy,he explained to me how to use a balloon. I was on the south side just west of the fishing dock. Were you guys fishing off the dock? If you were,thank you for the can of off,man those skeeters were about to carry me off !! I forgot to bring mine.I did catch a nice channel cat about 11:30 on a drum about 6 inches long. He weighed 8lbs.3ozs. on the scale. First time I got to hear my baitclicker scream since I started using baitcasters 3 months ago.Thought I had a flathead with the run he made. One of these days I will LOL.

11. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    hey DAK - wish i had known you were there - yeah, that was us. my cousin allen is the one that gave you the off. i wanted to fish at the dam, but access was tough, since it had grown up so much. it was easy to get to last spring when i went.

i am thinking the flatheads keep the fish population down in that lake. glad to here you got a nice one.

i am leaving in a few minutes to go back - LOL - left my cell phone there. the el reno police went out and picked it up for me

what bait were you using, DAK?

12. Dak2004

Dak2004 New Member

State:
    OKC,Oklahoma
    I caught that big channel on a drum about 6 inches long. On the other rods I was using worms and shrimp and they kept stealing my bait. Must have been a bunch of small ones. You guys probably thought I was crazy swinging my arms around,jumping in and out of my truck trying to get away from those mosquitos. When your cousin walked over I was about to put on my raingear.LOL I thought if this doe,nt work I,m headed home!! So tell your cousin thanks for me,he saved my fishin trip! Off,Dont leave home with out it. LOL

13. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    ken, did you catch the drum at el reno, or did you bring it with you?

14. Dak2004

Dak2004 New Member

State:
    OKC,Oklahoma
    Yea I caught it there while catching a few blugill for bait. He was on the hook about 3 hours before I got the bite.

15. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    how did you have it rigged, ken, if you don't mind my asking?

16. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    phil, your fishing in my old backyard. We just moved a few months ago from Minco to Sherman, Texas. I sure miss soonerland. Let us know how the fishing goes.

17. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    sure thing, aqua - i am going back to el reno in a couple of weeks - any tips for me?

18. Dak2004

Dak2004 New Member

State:
    OKC,Oklahoma
    Dont mind at all! It was a carolina rig with a 16 inch leader,17lb cajun red and a gamma 7\0 circle.The rod was a 8ft. berkley reflex and daiwa millionare reel.Oh and 1.5 oz. weight.

19. Dak2004

Dak2004 New Member

State:
    OKC,Oklahoma
    Hart,sorry it took so long to get back to you, but my dad has been in the hospital. Iwas about 50 yds.out.I,m pretty new to this lake,only fished it 6 times. I was told it only averages 4to 5 feet deep with some spots about 15 feet deep. Last Fri. i used a balloon for the first time. The way i had it rigged was carolina with a16 inch.leader,1.5 oz.weight and 7/o circle. Since I like fishing the bottom, I doubled my line above my swivel and passed it threw the hole in a lifesaver candy and looped it over so the lifesaver was tied to my line. Then I tied another short piece of line to the lifesaver and to this I tied the balloon. You got about 15 min. before the lifesaver melts and drops your line to the bottom.I was able to get out about 150 to 200 yds.It sounds wierd but it works and you can tie a balloon on in less than 5 minutes. I hopes this helps some!

20. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    a lifesaver, eh? i bet the flatties don't see it that way - lol.....you have any pics of that rig, dak?