El Dorado

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by smallriverrat, Oct 11, 2005.

1. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was wondering if there was any interest in a fall El Dorado get together. I got some vac time to burn and didn't know if anyone was interested in meeting at El Dorado and do some fishing? I am sure Calvin would be up for one.

Dave

2. tackleman

tackleman New Member

State:
    Olathe. Kansas
    I've never fished El Dorado. So it sounds good to me.

3. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'm always up for a fall fishing trip at El Dorado. You can't beat the fishing and the weather is good too. When did you have in mind?

4. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Calvin, I'll keep an eye on this thread, I'd still like to fish El Dorado. Can't remember, is that where the nice little motel is located, or was that Pomona? :crying:

5. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Its at ElDorado Jim. Kathy still runs it and I'm sure she will give you a good deal.

6. bigflathunter

bigflathunter New Member

State:
    Lawrence, KS
    I'm game for a get together at El Dorado, but I don't know when I'd be able to go. By the time I'd have a weekend to use, it'd be the middle of November. Looks like I won't have a say in this one unless everyone wants to go out November 11-12. :D Just about too cold by that point, so I'll just wait for the pictures of the monsters that Calvin pulls off of his lines.

7. McFlat

McFlat New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Aaron, are you kidding? Calvin has the warmest, driest, pontoon on the water. Besides....with the monsoons and all how can you resist another stay in my brigade size tent?

8. bigflathunter

bigflathunter New Member

State:
    Lawrence, KS
    That weekend will never be forgotten. "Warm" and "dry" are subject to interpretation by the user. Monsoon seems about right though. At the time it was kinda scary, but it sure made for a good story. That and the fact that the aircraft hangar of a tent we were sleeping in didn't seem to be fastened to the ground. :eek:

We should for sure do another one this spring. I'd love to shoot another turkey at El Dorado. Maybe we could even get some fishing in.

9. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    Does anyone fish lake chaney? If so, how's the fishing up there? I hope all of you have a great time together! :)

10. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The week of the 7th. I'm planning on going to Keystone. If you guys want to do it on the 11th we can combine some catfishing with hunting. If you like to camp in Kansas I think November is the best month. The damned hot weather is over and the fishing is usually still good.
    Squire, I very rarely fish at Cheney because I think El Dorado is a lot better. Cheney doesn't have the catfishing that El Dorado does. I think at times it is pretty good for channels though.

11. tackleman

tackleman New Member

State:
    Olathe. Kansas
    The 11th sounds good to me. Always wanted a good reason to to fish El Dorado.

12. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    If that is a date yiou guys can live with I'll mark it down and plan on it.

13. bigflathunter

bigflathunter New Member

State:
    Lawrence, KS
    Calvin, when you mentioned hunting, it dawned on me that pheasant season opens that weekend, and I'll be leaving for Russell on Friday afternoon when I get off work. I'll be spending opening weekend with some family friends out there, hopefully filling the game bag up both days. Looks like I'll just have to wait for spring, unless the 18-19 is not too late for anyone. I camped out last year on a night when it got into the 20's and slept in a huge tent by myself and survived. The weekend of the 19th of November last year is the last time I had my boat out before I tore it down, and when the sun started to go down, boy were the crappie biting! We were trolling up and down this little lake (Cowley state lake) with shad colored Rapala's and the crappie were nailing them. We didn't even try to fish for cats.

I hate to ask to push it back another week, but opening weekend of pheasant season is sacred ground for my me and my dad. I know I can handle the cold, and Calvin has a camper for himself to stay warm in, it's just a matter of if the fish will still be biting. Fall is just a good general time for fishing, but is mid-November too late at El Dorado?

PS Calvin - I turn 21 at the end of this month, so you won't have to worry about me getting caught drinking. Feel free to share your beer. :D Kidding.

14. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Any time in November isn't too late. It can get chilly at that time of year but not that bad. I'll be sleeping in a tent or on the ground too. If there isn't ice on the water we can catch fish. I enjoy camping in cold weather so you don't want to rely just on my opinion. I have a good sleeping bag and won't mind it no matter how cold it gets. If we do it during cold weather you want to make sure you are prepared. I can bring a wall tent with a wood burning stove if we need it.

15. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Wold love to join ya all at el dorado but all ready have plans to open the upland season in Mankato. keep me posted and maybe I can join you guys next time.

16. bigflathunter

bigflathunter New Member

State:
    Lawrence, KS
    You can count me in tentatively, Calvin. I think I can survive the cold. I just cannot sleep in the heat, so cold weather camping should be fun. This would be the latest in the year I've ever camped, so I'm looking forward to it. It'll also be a nice change of scenery to get to the lake for a weekend.

The house I lived in at KSU two years ago had a very poor ventilation system. Everyone slept on the third floor in one big room with windows that did not come even close to sealing. The heaters didn't generate enough air movement to get the warm air up to the third floor, so whatever temperature it was outside, it was in that room. Not much we could do about it.

17. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sounds good to me. I'll plan on it. Hey Brad, do you know many people from Mankato? My Uncle grew up on a farm there. I haven't been there for a while but the bird hunting is usually really good there.

18. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Dang, will be on my 7 straight days on the 19th, oh well I wouldn't have been fishing anyway..........quack!!!!

19. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I hear ya Charlie. You can bet my gun and decoys will be with me then too.

20. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Should be decent early this year, seen a fair # of ducks on Perry last weekend while scouting. This cool snap can't hurt either. As soon as I get off my 7 days(Wednesday), I've got the next 13 off...........should kill some quacks then :) Also have 2 weeks off after Thanksgiving, I've got big plans on putting some Mallards in the freezer............and turning Ozzy into a real duck dog.