El Dorado Reservoir

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by kansas_catman_16, Jun 12, 2008.

1. kansas_catman_16

kansas_catman_16 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    just went to el dorado resevoir two days ago fishin in the spillway was good caught a few channels and an 15lb drum in the lake the catfish were bitn on stink bait and shrimp biggest one was 8lb channel cat. anyone been out to cheney or fall river???

2. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'm going to go out and try the lake tomorrow. Plan is to put in at that ramp on the far northeast... I think its up by the walnut inlet, not sure though. I'm also going to try something new, a slip bobber rig. I haven't fished at El Dorado for a while and mostly because I wasn't catching fish but I was getting snagged on the bottom all the time:angry:. Well this time I'm going at least avoid the snags with the slip bobber rig (or thats the plan). I'll be using live bluegill and hopefully I'm not too late to catch a few flatheads before the spawn. Anyway, I am a little worried that that end of the lake will be real shallow and a nightmare to navigate. Anybody ever put in at that ramp? Its the one that is real close to the turnpike on the north east side.

3. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas
    shallow water shouldnt be a problem because the lakes up but there will be stumps underwater that u could usually see when the water is normal so i'd go slow and watch the water and the finder. fishing flatheads slip bobber rig might work but im not sure i havent used it i usually use regular slip sinker rig wit a 3-5 ounce lead (depends on wind and water)and a 5/0-7/0 circle hook or octapuse hook that usually sticks em :wink: now where i fish for the flatheads is east side by the old highway or old brige they like to lay up under the flooded road or down below the spillway by a huge snag under a bridge goin ova but i think some of it got washed farther downstream :angry: ive caught and seen some big flats come outta there. hope this helps.good luck to ya

4. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Good Luck Steve hope you knock them dead.

5. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I have not been fishing in fall river since last year. We caught 6 cats. Biggest channel was maybe 9 lbs. But I am looking forward to going again this year. I am hoping I can set lines.

6. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Joe are you talking about that sachel creek area? There's a picture, or was a picture, of a guy who pulled a 60 # flathead out of there in sportsman's warehouse about this time of year last year. I went out there for a few weeks last year and fished the creek south of satchel creek and the one north with no luck. I've been fishing on the walnut since Feb. just about every weekend, but the ramp down there is destroyed from the flood and the one in ark. city is closed for a while. So I figured I would try my luck at El Dorado again... hopefully they are not spawning quite yet although I'm pretty sure its close. My strategy will be up in the feeder creek (I think it is the walnut, but not sure) and hopefully I can get real tight against a bunch of stumps , since I don't think there will be any snags. Also there should be plenty of shallow flats up on that side of the lake for when the sun goes down. I never have had any luck at all El Dorado, but you can't catch them without going.

7. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    If you go up the Walnut make sure you go slow and stay in the channel. If not you can damage your prop or lower unit. There are plenty of brushpiles, plenty of flatheads, and plenty of hidden stumps. The lake is up a little bit and that hides the normal boobytraps even more. If you aren't familiar with the area you might do better going left under the bridge and to the south west. That's easier to navigate and the fishing is just as good. Good luck.

8. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey Calvin, after you said that about the main channel I thought I'd get on mapquest and livesearch to see what you are talking about. I attached photo's that I made. The first one is livesearch, which is kind of unclear as to where the main channel is. The second one is mapquest and it seems pretty obvious where the the main channel is. On that picture I painted my planned route in red... does that look about right from your experience? Last thing I want is to ruin a prop or damage the lower unit on my brand new motor:smile2:. Plus paddling back would suck. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Attached Files:

9. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas
    in the creeks would be a pretty good bet but as calvin said u gotta stay in the creeks but wat u can do is fish the big tree's wat i've done i hug right up next to a tree(make sure there are no snakes in the tree:smile2:) and drop a bluegill right down the side with a 1 ounce led with about 2 foot of lead line so he can swim with the lead holdin him down there by the root system because all the soil been washed away and the flatheads like to hide in the system of roots but i dont recomend doin this unless u have braid because sometimes the flat will just inhale it and u wont feel it hit. and if all u catch is small flat head move to a different tree or stump or some of the bridge pilin i hope this helps u out

10. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    Steve i have fished up there alot here in the past and the channel goes to the right after u go under the turnpike. There are alot of trees up there. The way you have your red line going is a big mudd flat between your red line and the bank to the right of your line is a bunch of trees alot of cover for fish. It gets shallow in the middle of them trees down to almost a foot if not less. It is a real good feeding area for the fish. I havent really fished with fresh bait for flats we always stink bait fish it and catch 20 to 30 fish 2 to 10 lbs fish but i would bet there are some big flats in there. I have caught some big flats on trot lines all over the north end of the lake. 40 lbs being the biggests and 15 to 20lb channels. Like everyone has said just go slow up there because of the stumps. I am sure the lake is up with all this rain. When you get up there you can see by the way the trees go were the channel is. Hope this helps Shawn

11. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well you guys were right, it is a mine field up there. Hit my share stumps, probably a half dozen. All at idling speed though so no harm done. My biggest concern was getting high centered on one though. That happened to me a few weeks ago on Clinton lake up in the rock creek area. Luckily it was right at the boat ramp and my buddy was just pulling my truck off the ramp and parking it. I was stuck for good, had to cast to shore and attach the anchor line to it so he could pull me off. If that would have happened to me last night out there in the middle of nowhere, were there's little to no boat traffic, I don't know what I would have done... probably would have had to get wet:smile2:. Anyway, didn't get a single bite but I kind of figured that would be the case. The water temps were between 83 and 78 degrees when I left at about 1:30. I'm sure the flatheads are spawning, but I just had to get out there and try. I did like the slip bobber rigs though. You can really see the bluegill working and when you need to put a new on on. With a 3 oz. weight they can't move around too much too fast, but you can still see 'em moving the bobber around a little. It was a beautiful night too, so it was fun.

12. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Is El Dorado's spillway good flathead fishing when they are letting out water ?

13. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I looked on mapquest and saw that where the Walnut flows just south of the spillway dumps into a small lake or pond, is that a good fishing hole for flatheads ?:big_smile:

14. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Keith

Calvin and his family have pulled a lot of big flatheads from the Walnut River and pond just below El Dorado, but like anywhere else, you have to know where to look. And yes it helps if the lake has been releasing water recently. I was there a couple of years ago, but they had not released any water in almost a year, and the fish were pretty well depleted.

15. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Steve, Shawn is right about the mud flat. You need to stay to the right and hug the willow finger to the cup of the horseshoe. Then you can take that cut instead of following the entire shoe around and yiou'll save some time. Its not deep but its clean and you can speed up there. Your best bet is to go up when the river is normal and you can learn the safest route. Its a long paddle back if you tear up a lower unit. Give me a shout when you go next time and I'll try to show you the easiest way.

16. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey Calvin, sounds like I'm going out there again friday night. Maybe saturday but we'll see. My buddy is coming down from KC and while he's here he wants to do a little fishing. Last time I was fishing for flatheads, but I think we'll have better luck with channels since the flatheads are spawning. I want to get some bites this time though, so what would you suggest going up into the river or fishing in all that timber around the river bed at the mouth? I guess its all timbered, but after I got up into that snaggy area in the river there seemed to be alot of 3-5' water. Seemed like kind of by the mouth there was a definate drop off where the river bed was, about 10-16'.

17. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    Steve when i go up there we always use dip bait or punch bait. Sonnys will work and we also use sure shot punch bait that u can get it of the internet at catfishbait.net Thats what we use and we usually catch our limit ranging from 1 to 8 pounds