El Dorado Lake

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by BowieKnife357, Mar 23, 2009.

1. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I havn't fished El Dorado in quite some time, and when I did I always just hit the feeder creeks for flatties. I saw on the KDWP website that there are bluecats in there though. I was wondering if anyone here has ever caught a bluecat out of El Dorado? Have they always been in there, or is this a new stocking experiment? I don't recall ever hearing about them in there before from anyone else. Yall let me know.

2. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    we went to the game and fish seminar this winter, and they are stocking blue cats in quite a few lakes in kansas, I believe that was 1 of the stocking programs, they are putting thousands in all over the state. in ten years or so if they take it should be great,

3. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I was wondering if that was the deal. Seem to have a pretty strict creel and length limit. You may be right, here in a few years there might be some nice ones coming out of there. As for now, I wouldn't mind tieing into one of'em in there even if it's under the limit, I release the majority of my fish anyway. Never caught a bluecat before.

4. kansas_catman_16

kansas_catman_16 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    they just started putting them into eldorado to try and control zebra mussels since mussels are a part of the bluecats diet and there also putting them in cheney to control white perch. in 10 yrs i think at cheney they'll have some big blues as many white perch are in the lake :roll_eyes::smile2:

5. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    the bules were put in a couple of years, ago, with a 35" length that they have it will be a few more before you can keep any, thats at least a 20 lb + fish :smile2:

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Yeah, I havent really heard of anyone catchin any yet. It will be awhile before they are big enough to keep.:sad2:
    Hopefully people can tell the difference between a blue and a channel and throw them back.
    They are the only hope that lake has.:wink::smile2:
    They have a chance to get nice in there. The got enough mussels to eat for awhile.:smile2:

7. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    i had planned to go to marion on sunday, but saturday i had to put 2 new tires on the boat trailer, so there went my gas money for the weekend. ended up going to el dorado, because its close. caught 2 small channels, 4 drum, 1 hybred, and 1 white bass,man it was windy. water temp was 48 to 56 and it was slow fishing. we need so rain and warmer temps to get these fish moving rwg :smile2:

8. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Sounds like a pretty good day Roger, thanks for the report.
    It was windy, wasnt it?:smile2: Yesterday was even worse.:sad2:

9. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    You can sneeze on one side of El Dorado and cause white caps on the other side.:smile2:It seems like its always windy there.

10. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas
    trust me it always is. at least wen we wana get out there on the boat:roll_eyes::wink:

11. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Most of the ElDorado bluecats I caught last year were about 21/2 pounds and really healthy looking. They should be a little larger this year. A lot of smaller ones were caught last summer below the tube and unfortunately people were keeping them. Too many people around here either don't know the difference or don't care and I've yet to see anyone get a ticket for it. They did release a few brood fish with the two stockings that will meet the 35 inch length. But it would be nice if people would release them too until we can get a good population established.

12. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Its the same situation with White Bass, and Wipers. I've seen hundreds caught, and kept, and not a warden in sight.

13. leadsinker

leadsinker Member

State:
    Wichita, K
  14. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Quote from the report
    Person that caught the whitebass ranging from 3-4lbs is crazy.... You seem to be the problem that we have here in kansas when you do not know how to identify your species. Please look at the page that tells you the difference between a whitebass and a wiper. There are very few whitebass that ever get that big here in kansas......Please do us all a favor and identify your catches better the next time out on the lake. If you caught a 4.1lb whitebass you might have had the state record son!!! And to top it off a spinnerbait??? Hmmmm....... Angler of the year!!!

I liked the "Angler of the year" part.:smile2:

15. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas
    thats a wow moment right there. now i believe the spinnerbait and catching the 2lb whites but 4lb idk about the biggest white ive caught is 2.5 :confused2::confused2:

16. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Some of the biggest "whitebass" around here is in the Neosho above redmond.

I have caught a bunch in the 3lb range and heard of 4lber's coming from there.

Most females will avg 1.5 - 2lbs..

I hooked some that I couldn't stop with light tackle in swift water.

Yes I know the differance between them and wipers:wink:

17. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    The biggest Whitebass I've ever caught was a 3.3 in 94 on Milford. Biggest Wiper was a 15.5, it's on the wall. I released it, when I made my next drift, it was belly up and struggling. So I picked it up intending to clean and eat it, when I showed it to the Frau, she said "Wow, you have to have him mounted" so I did:wink::smile2:
    Couldn't post the pic, it's already in Milford Lake fishing thread some where:eek:oooh:

18. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    30-35 years ago, before the Ninnescah river above Cheney silted in, it wasn't to uncommon to catch a lot of 3# + whites, during the spring run.
    A little over 4 pounds is as big as I've ever seen,.. shaped like a football.:big_smile: