El Centro fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by JAYNC, Sep 11, 2005.

1. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Is there anywhere near El Centro to fish for cats, I am out here doing some training and get bored. Thanks

2. Ecfool

Ecfool New Member

State:
    California
    Actually sure is send me a Pm and I will let you know of a few good spots or if you want maybe we could hook up and head out for a night of fishing localy in the El centro/ Calexico area. I am going to be busy this weekend as our local dirt track starts our winter season of races and being Head Tech Inspector I have to be there. The fishing locally around El Centro is fairly good for channel cats, for flat heads I head towards Imperial Dam area.

3. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I am right here on the navy base, we normally have been having one night a week off so I could probably go this upcoming saturday night. If you arent able to make it, I would appreciate the tips on the places to go, and how far are they away. Thanks for your help. Jason

4. Ecfool

Ecfool New Member

State:
    California
    This saturday I am working at he race track in Imperial. But here are a few palces that pan out fairly well and not to far from base. try fishing the Central Main Canal from Cole road (Take Hwy 111 south to the Wal-Mart turn left)fish from Cole road south the the All American. Another decent strech is the West Side Main from Huff Road to Evans Hewes Hwy.
    Another place to try that is decent at times is the Fig Lagoone it is right behind the Broken Spoke Golf Course.
    By the way do you have any contact with the fire fighters at the NAF fire dept? If so contact Gerard there, he is My son he can give you some directions as well.

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    My dad and I used to fish the Cole road area a lot even before there was a walmart there. Pretty good for channel cats in that area as I recall. If you continue down Hiway 98 toward Yuma you'll eventually cross the Alamo river and the next small canal you'll cross will be the West Alamo canal. We used to catch our limit under that bridge of 3 to 5 lb channel cats. Liver, crawdads and minnows worked great there. Lot's of memories down in that part of the country for me. Haven't been down there since 1992. Jason you're in a great catfishing area.

6. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    cool, maybe I will go to break up this boredom from being stuck on base. Thanks for all the help. Jason

7. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    back when i was a kid (and i mean a kid) we use to tear up at a place called weis lake i don't knoww the exact location but it's in the area. also try the canals we always did good on them to.another place was the all american canal we caught some bigguns there.....good luck...john

8. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    my wife is from mexicali, and although we live in los angeles, we just bought a second house in calexico (rancho frontera off cole road, to be exact). i have been catfishin' all summer on the canal that is behind the walmart and i am loving it. can't say that i have caught a ton of fish, but i attribute that to mostly being a trout fisherman prior to getting a place down south.

would love to hear if anyone has some advise. I am going to try south of cole road on west main and the canal close to the alamo river. anyone have advice where i can catch gills for bait?

many thanks in advance

9. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Welcome to the BOC, Douglas.
    The only advice I can give you is to keep at it and try new spots until you figure them out.
    Don't over look the All American Canal or the Cochella Canal that runs off it.
    There are some good sized Flatheads in the AAC and stripers also.

10. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Welcome to the BOC Douglas. I hope that you and Jason are able to make it happen over there. While I am familiar with the base over there, I have not ever tried to fish in that area. Good luck.

11. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    The drops are good spots to fish on the aa.When I fished there last bluegills where hard to come by.However Im sure there are some in wiest lake and or the finney ramer complex.I had much better luck finding tilapia in the canals further north around mecca near the fish farms that dump into the salton sea.You just have to find the right canal,theres a ton.The Alamo has big flatheads too.You can also use goldfish if you can find a place that sells them,there was a hardware store in calipatria that had them.Good luck.

12. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Bill, how many pounds did your flathead weigh? Where did ya catch it and what type of bait did ya use?
    P.S Welcome to the BOC Doug!

Jaime

13. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    some questions for you guys . . .

if i was to buy tilapia (from the grocery store) and use it as cut bait, is that legal in west main and AAC? i have read the regulations and it says tilapia is illegal, but aren't they just referring to wild fish?

i have heard about the hardware store that sells shiners and goldfish (zendejas), i plan on stopping by this weekend. what are better for catching cats?

heading up towards the salton sea for tilapia makes sense . . . are they edible or are they in the drainage canals?

btw, where exatcly are the fish farms?

coming south on the 86 there is some kind of a pond/retention pond inbetween the 86 and the salton sea. it looks like only half of it is fenced off . . . anyone know what is in there? is it legal to fish? is the water filled by irrigation or drainage canals?

flatheadhunter --

i am game to go after some bass. my thinking is, with the two pole license i can use one pole for cats and the other for bass. seems to me cats and bass frequent the same waters, so what the heck.

when i was fishing by one of the bridges near herber i saw a guy using buzz baits and pulling in some large mouth. as i am not familar with buzz baits, what else can i use to go after the bass? i was thinking using some plastics texas rigged, but would appreciate the input on what is most effective.

btw, many thanks for the warm welcome and responses.

14. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    some questions for you guys . . .

if i was to buy tilapia (from the grocery store) and use it as cut bait, is that legal in west main and AAC? i have read the regulations and it says tilapia is illegal, but aren't they just referring to wild fish?

This refers to live bait. Cut bait should be fine but you would do better to catch carp and use fresh cut carp for bait. flat heads in particular prefer it.

i have heard about the hardware store that sells shiners and goldfish (zendejas), i plan on stopping by this weekend. what are better for catching cats?

Either one will work but keep in mind that gold fish are hardier and will tolerate low oxygen water better, they are easier to keep alive.

heading up towards the salton sea for tilapia makes sense . . . are they edible or are they in the drainage canals?

The answer to both questions is yes.

btw, where exatcly are the fish farms?

Don't have an answer for this one other than they are located all around the state.

coming south on the 86 there is some kind of a pond/retention pond inbetween the 86 and the salton sea. it looks like only half of it is fenced off . . . anyone know what is in there? is it legal to fish? is the water filled by irrigation or drainage canals?

There are many Irrigation ponds around the area. Many contain Bass and cat fish before fishing them it's best to ask permission as they are private property and fishing them is trespassing.

flatheadhunter --

i am game to go after some bass. my thinking is, with the two pole license i can use one pole for cats and the other for bass. seems to me cats and bass frequent the same waters, so what the heck.

On this I would say remember that the fish (catfish , bass or others) are never far from the cafeteria.

when i was fishing by one of the bridges near herber i saw a guy using buzz baits and pulling in some large mouth. as i am not familar with buzz baits, what else can i use to go after the bass? i was thinking using some plastics texas rigged, but would appreciate the input on what is most effective.

btw, many thanks for the warm welcome and responses.

15. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Douglas, welcome to the BOC family. A lot of great info on here as well as great folks. Enjoy!

16. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    Doug,
    The fish farms are on the northeast area of the sea,there are alot of fish farms out there.Best way is to just go exploring and following different canals.If you know where the old bait store poor richards is/was try the two streets before and after.I get most if my bait north of the state park rec area,but there are tons of canals with bait,you just have to scout them out,it wont t ake long with pieces of crawlers.Most times you can just drive along,and you will see them.

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=12&Z=11&X=734&Y=4638&W=2

Here is a satalite image of the general area we would load up on bait sized tilapia.I wouldent eat the tilapia out of these waters.The coachella and east highline are clean waters.I used to always fish the alamo river,but was catch and release cause the water on the alamo and new river are pretty bad.Not saying people cant and dont eat the fish I just wouldent,from seeing the different kinds of aggriculture and farm runoffs.

17. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    ok, this weekend i will be making the trek down to my pad in calexico. which means . . .

1) the circle K by my house is going to get rich off beer sales

and

2) i will be hitting up the canals (AAC, west main, east highline).

i will post over the weekend and let you all know how it is going. if anyone wants to join me, just let me know.

tight lines.

18. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Go get em brother. Look forward to reading your report.

19. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    how do i thank folks? i noticed some people are thanking me, but i can't find a button to return the favor.

thanks in advance.

20. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    It is next to the Quote button. Rep point button on top of the post.