El Centro, California

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by trigger22, May 26, 2009.

1. trigger22

trigger22 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey guys I am a noob to Catfish 1, used to be a BOC member and am an avid catfisherman. I found this site searching for information on El Centro catfishing. Basically I am active duty Marine and out here on the NAF for a couple of days. I have fished a couple of the public ponds but only caught a few bream. I saw a guy catch a few channel cats but didnt have any luck myself. I have now decided to move onto canal fishing, just curious where to start. There are a bunch of canals around and I have no idea where to begin on that type of fishing. I have read about the All American Canal, where is this at? it seems like my best bet. Thanks ahead of time for any help.

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welocome to the BOC Tony:wink:

3. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    i guess it all depends on your perspective, if you are willing to drive out to the east highline, that is the best place to go. personally, i think all the unlined canals produce good catfish, so i fish the one that is closest to me.

reason being, the closer it is . . . the more prone you will be to fish it, and the more you will learn about its ins and outs. have you tried the central main canal west of the 111 and south of herber? lots of good fishing there.

btw, if you are planning on eating the fish, pay attention to the source of the canal you are fishing. use google earth and see if the source is the AAC or farm runoff. if you are fishing a farm runoff canal, don't eat what you catch.

one last thing . . .

welcome to the board

4. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Tony, I haven't been down in that area for years. But I grew up fishing there. If you're wanting to catch flatheads, I'm not the best source of info for that in that area. Just use live bait and fish in the early evening til after midnight. If you're fishing for channel cats, catch you a bucket of crawdads in any of the drainage ditches for bait. This and liver were our primary baits back then. We used to rig up with a main line, snap swivel and leader with a fairly large(1/4 oz) splitshot and a jhook of whatever size you think best, ours was size 2 to 1/0 back then. Then find you a place on a dirt bank canal and toss it just past the moss and let it wash back under it. Put your rod in a good sturdy rod holder that won't pull out of the sand and if they're biting, be ready for a good fight. We use to use 6.5 foot rods in med/hvy action with spinning reels on them. but you can do it how you want of course. I'll tell you a few of the places we used to go. From El Centro, take hiway 115 to Holtville and drive through town. About 5 or 6 miles out of Holtville you'll come to a bridge that crosses the East Highline Canal. We used to cross the canal and park right in front of the old bridge abutments. Walk down about 50 yards and set up like I said. we used to catch of ton of channel cats there, one I remember weighed 15 lbs or so. Had a swallow in it's belly. Another place is to drive down hiway 111 to Calexico and turn toward Yuma on hiway 98. There are many places on 98 to fish, but just past the Alamo river til you cross the W. Alamo canal, it won't be a big canal and it will have concrete banks now I believe. Turn south and drive til you get to the All American canal, we used to catch a lot of channels where it comes out of the big canal. There are a ton more places we used to fish, wish I could show you. Hope this helps.

5. Whistler

State:
    TN
    My mistake there. The place on the East Highline Canal I'm talking about is on the other side or Brawley on hiway 78(Ben Hulsey Hiway). Very good place to fish. Lot's of memories for me, even if I don't have a good memory for directions. LOL

6. trigger22

trigger22 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    thanks alot for the info guys, i will check a few of these spots out tonight

7. Nightstalker 424

Nightstalker 424 New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for your service Devil Dog!!!!

8. Nightstalker 424

Nightstalker 424 New Member

State:
    California
    Trigger, check your P.M.'s.

9. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    any word on how it went for you? what canals did you hit? this saturday i will likely be fishing the central main . . . now sure if you are interested.

10. trigger22

trigger22 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Night Stalker thank you very much, I got your pms, I just dont have enough posts to write you back. I will be checking out that place this evening. Again thank you.

11. trigger22

trigger22 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    dhines, thanks for your offer. If I am still here come saturday I'm very interested in heading out. As of right now I am day to day as to when I will be going back to NC. We are sort of up the creek without a paddle if you know what I mean. I know I have tonight off to give it a shot.

12. trigger22

trigger22 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I hit up the central main by Herber last night and got lots of mosquito bites, but nothing else. My buddy really likes fishing sunbeam lake, but after a couple of days fishing it and no cats I dont want to waste my time. Everyone at the lake is bass fishing and all keep saying canals. We are gonna hit up another canal tonight, and probably sunbeam in the morning for bass. Again thanks for all of your help. I really like this site. I will definately continue to use it in NC.

13. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    There are a lot of BOC members that I'm sure will put you on some really big cats out in NC when you get there. Don't forget the Cali Boys and say what's up from time to time.

14. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    when they drained the old dirt portion of AA canal and opened the cemented part, they put a lot of the rescued cats in sunbeam. wonder if they are down at portion of lake people don't usually fish?
    gary

15. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    dude i am so sorry . . . . i forgot to tell you the number one rule . . . dont get near the canals with that blue bottle of bug repellent (sp?). you can get it at wallmart for about $5. it does wonders, spray it all over your body, head, everywhere. then spray it in your hands and apply to your face. i re-apply about evey 1.5 hours. do i need to reapply that often, probably not. but, i would rather use $.50 more of spay than get a bite.

other thing, if you come out on saturday (with me) i will be sure to show you were to land a few channels. i will be heading to the canals around 8pm and hopefully fishing until midnight or 1am.

hope you can stick around . . . would hate to see you get skunked and have suffered misquito bites.

16. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    That is what they did. Shortly after that happened they had a kids tournament on that lake and a lot of fish was caught. When I fished it I also had a cat rod out and between Todd and I rod out on the water there was only 1 cat strike on stink bait. I do know the bluegill bite was good but maybe a good portion of those fish were caught or they just did not want to get active until it was dark. It was very hot out there so that could have been the case. One guy fished it at night time and caught a limit of channels so who knows.

I know similar to the city park lakes here and private lakes once a lake get stocked people hit it hard after that and if the fish are not stocked often the bite get tougher and tougher as the weeks go by.
    B

17. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Dang, I bet the canals are completely different than I remember them. Cemented the All American? Wow, I never thought they'd spend that much money on it. Must be a whole different system now. Wish I could come see it. Many, many memories down there for me. Maybe you guys could post some pics of the new stuff for me. I'd love to see them. You can look in my gallery pics for a few of mine from the 70's and 80's down there. Used to hit there everytime I came home on leave. I love that part of the country, heat and all. Sunsets are beautiful and even the smells of the irrigation and alkaly are things I'll never forget. Sure was a sad day for me to read about Salton Sea being dead now too. I really hate that that happened. Was a very important part of my family's life in the 60's.

18. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Don't worry Bryan we will have tons of pictures when this gathering is all said and done. And I'm sure the SoCal guys will have pics of the AA Canal(the new and improved version:wink:).

19. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    only part of the canal has been lined . . . from point knob through drop 3.

http://www.iid.com/Media/All-American-Canal-Map.jpg

i really don't think they will ever consider lining more of the canal, as the lessening of water seepage wont offset the cost. there are still plenty of places to fish the imperial valley canals, so don't worry it will be going strong for a very very long time.

btw, i still hold out hope that something will be done for the salton sea. that being said, i don't expect it to be soon, but i am hopeful that something will happen.

20. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Thanks Doug, that map was a good link. We never fished above Drop 4( I think) where the East Highline begins except for one or two times. I've fished most of the rest down there though. Some of our best fishing was in the smaller canals. We only fished for channel cats though. Sure did have a lot of fun down there when I was a kid and when I went home all those times. Thanks very much Doug.