El Capitan Slabs.

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by bluehunter, Mar 4, 2007.

1. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Once again lowe and I went out on the hunt. This time in search of slabs at the Cap in San Diego. Its been a long while since I been here but it will be one of my top frequented lakes from here on out. I got a late start as I overslept and woke up at 545 in the morn. I called Lowe and told him I will be there around 8-30. I arrived at 830 and Lowe already had one slab in the basket, we went out as the winds were in high motion that morn but later turned to moderate to low for the rest of the day. It was a tough morning bite as we tried for cats with no luck and tried different areas for the crappie but we found the school in the afternoon that saved our trip. The crappie were chasing the shad so as soon as we trolled on top of them with our jigs ther would get hammered. These were some nice size crappie on top of that. For those of you who do not know crappie is my favorite fresh water eating fish. I will chase after crappie any time any day. The day was great and the bite only going to get better at El Cap as the water warms and the spring comes along. Nice fishing with you again Lowe. I have some pics to post and Lowe will add his on this thread as well of him and his slabs. We will be back out there in a few weeks. I may hit Otay next week as I am on my learning focus of that lake since San V will be closed for 5 years starting in 08. So I need a new place to chase the monster blues. Until next time folks, Peaces!

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21969&d=1173028128

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21970&d=1173028128

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21971&d=1173028128

2. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio
    Those look like some slabs. Nice job.

3. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Them's some good looking specks al right Brian. What color/type jigs were they hitting on?

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thanks fellas. yellow and white mini jigs as well as the small minnow type jigs blue color.

5. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Man I can taste crappie right now...best eating fish I know of. Happy you had a good day.

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Great report and photos Brian! Man those are some darn nice Crappies!:cool2:

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Brian, those are some nice crappie.

8. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Get the grease hot and mix up a batch of hush puppies!

9. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Just curious, why will it be closed for five years?

10. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele

San Vicente is working on a project to raise the dam and also increase the water depths about 60 feet across the huge lake. Thet are also changing access to the lake by rebuilding the roads and also making it more convenient to the public by adding more recreation to areas around the lake. When the lake reopens the fishing should be on fire.

11. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I love crappie too! Those you have there are some very nice ones...looks like you all had a really nice fish fry!