El. Capitan fishing.

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by bluehunter, Mar 4, 2007.

1. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Once again lowe and I went out of the hunt. This time in search of slabs at the Cap. Its been a long while since I been here but it will be one of my top frequented lakes from here on out. I got a late start as I overslept and woke up at 545 in the morn. I called Lowe and told him I will be there around 8-30. I arrived at 830 and Lowe already had one slab in the basket, we went out as the winds were in high motion that morn but later turned to moderate to low for the rest of the day. It was a tough morning bite as we tried for cats with no luck and tried different areas for the crappie but we found the school in the afternoon that saved our trip. The crappie were chasing the shad so as soon as we trolled on top of them with our jigs ther would get hammered. These were some nice size crappie on top of that. For those of you who do not know crappie is my favorite fresh water eating fish. I will chase after crappie any time any day. The day was great and the bite only going to get better at El Cap as the water warms and the spring comes along. Nice fishing with you again Lowe. I have some pics to post and Lowe will add his on this thread as well of him and his slabs. We will be back out there in a few weeks. I may hit Otay next week as I am on my learning focus of that lake since San V will be closed for 5 years starting in 08. So I need a new place to chase the monster blues. Until next time folks, Peaces!

Attached Files:

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Them's some nice looking specks. What color/type jigs were they taken with?

3. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Yellow and white mini jigs as well as the small minnow type jigs in blue color.

4. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Guess I'll have to get some blue jigs. Dont think Ive ever seen them in 2" for crappie though.m Where did you find them?

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Brian Thank You for the report!! Man them are some NICE Crappie.Congrats to You and Lowe. Reps. to You My Friend.J.D.
    :still_dreaming: :0a32: :0a20: :007: :0a31:

6. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Walmart has them. Its the mix of blue and clear color.

7. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Crappie are right up top of my favorite eating and catching fish and those ones you guys got a perfect size good going Blue

I need to scan the pic of my 3 pounder i got a few years back my buddys was 4 pounds, huge crappie long as his forearm. They were caught of a lake about 30 minutes from me here need to get back out and see if theres anymore out there but need a boat.

8. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Thanks Brian I'll check the local Walmart.
    I have some 5" blue and clear and the calico bass eat them like candy at times.

9. Pontoon

Pontoon New Member

State:
    California
    Brian, you and Lowe are forming up a good team. Way to go guys!

I've got to talk Trollmiester into hitting one of the San Diego Lakes sometime soon.

10. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Congrats on the slabs.Thx for sharing pictures.

11. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    You and lowe can really clean house this summer / fall. He is cool people and it would be nice to see you two get a triple digit cat this year.

12. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I am going to the Cap again tomorrow on Sat and will see how the crappie is doing again. This time we will focus on them in certain zones that we found them last week. Wil also try for some cats for a few hours as well likely during the morning hours. Will post the results when I get back.

13. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Those are some nice fish. Congrats on what I would call a very successful day.

14. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Once again had to give the cap a shot and the bite was still cracking. Went out with Lowe again. The bite did not materialize for us again until the afternoon hours but the size of the crappie for today was bigger than last weeks. A few were landed on the troll but most came on the drift from the moderate winds. We fished the north end of the lake. Pretty good fishing it turned out to be. Biggest crappie was over 2 pounds for me for the day. 2.3 it was I am considering going again next weekend while the crappie bite is hot. Its getting better by the weeks it seems. Lowe got into some nice size crappie as well. Here are a few of mines for the day at the Capt. Looking forward to hitting it again next week or shortly after.

Attached Files:

15. Pontoon

Pontoon New Member

State:
    California
    Great job on the crappie Brian. Looks like the time is getting closer for some crappie and cats here in the local waters.

16. big taz

big taz New Member

State:
    california
    great looking slabs!!!
    I may have 2 get down to the cap. never been but have heard good things

17. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Its a good lake for crappie. Going back tomorow with the little one.

18. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Took my son out on the crappie bite to El capt. Not as strong as i wanted it to be but still was able to get a few. I am on the hunt of getting a 25 fish stringer but no Happs today. We had to work for ours and got a total of nine slabs and one 1 pound blue cat. I found a cat spot at El capt finally and i was 1 for 3 runs at the spot today . I only gave the spot an hour and 15 minutes and decided to hit the slabs again. Biggest slabs of the day was a 2 pounder and another one at 1.5. I will give it a break and may be back spring break or mid to end of April. Time to start saving chips for the Flathead runs to the river. May hit Henshaw or Otay once if the reports of slabs is good during the spring some time. Bait was jigs and minnows. The 2 pounder came on a minnow.

Attached Files:

19. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Just had to give The Cap another chance. This time went out with Riverbud to go after some cats and slabs. The morning bite was as tough as usual but picked up in the afternoon as soon as the winds picked up allowing us to drift around some different holes targeting the schools. First crappie was caught on a minnow while we were seated trying to get some cats. 2nd spot we targeted for cats resulted in a 4 pound bass that decided to take a piece of MACKEREL. Needless to say I was shocked. Let that one go and when the winds picked up, we tabbed crappie here and there on jigs with my biggest being a little over 2 pounds. This is my 3rd trip in a role that i caught a 2 pound slab or more. Still going strong there. Thanks to Dale for getting me on the water, otherwise I would have been sitting home wishing I was on the water. Ended up being a good trip. Until next time ya, peaces!

Attached Files:

20. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    nice string of crappie