Eggs this time of year?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by slimepig, Nov 27, 2006.

1. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    caught a channel bout 3 pounds other day and it was full of eggs. is this normal?

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nope, I dont think so. But maybe its ur state!

3. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Not where I live its not normal. Cats here spawn around June. My biggest cat was caught on June 27 and was full of eggs. Is there some chemical pollution where you fish?

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Best suggestion, contact your local DNR. Let them know where you caught the fish at. They'll have a bunch of other questions too, I'm sure.

5. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    that sounds weird i've never heard of them havin eggs this late in the year.it might be a delayed pregnancy or something i wouldnt think it would have to do wit pollution.i'd think it would make em sterile if anything but i'm no biologist.but that is very interestin if you call whoever or come across anything let us know.

6. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    the last 2 channels i have caught had egg sacs too, but small ones

7. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    nah, no pollution. i caught em in the gaudalupe river here, and the waters pretty clean.

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have never saw one this time of the yr

9. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I know that I've caught crappie with eggs in them this time of year. They only spawn once a year like any other fish. Some fish spawn at different times throughout the year. Most spawn in the spring, a few in the summer, some more spawn in the fall time with few spawnming in the winter. If they are spawning now, then most likely they did not in the spring. later

10. suey

suey New Member

State:
    arizona
    here in arizona.. i have heard of bass spawning at this time of year.... bass fisherman seeing fry and everything

not sure about catfish though

11. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    There's lot's of catfish or any other fish for that matter that never find a suitable nesting ground. Fish that don't find anywhere to spawn will keep their eggs inside them until there finally absorbed into their body. I'm pretty sure that's the case with your fish.

12. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Daniel,
    Two of us were fishing here in Indiana and we caught 2-crappie 3- bass ans one of the bass was about 5-lbs all had eggs in them.
    This was strange being in december.

13. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Chris,
    I never heard that before that the fish would absorbe in the fish but sounds logical....Thanks

14. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fish spawn according to water temp. If the temp. and conditions are right, the time of year is irrelevent. I would say in Texas fish could spawn just about any time. Winter weather in Texas is probably like spring in Missouri. Catfish here normally spawn anywhwere from late May to early July. If conditions are right they may spawn again in the fall. Sometimes they may produce eggs and never deposit them as previously stated.

15. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've caught crappie & blue & channel cats with eggs in them over the last 2 weeks. I also wonder why that is. Maybe its a Texas thing.

16. CharlieD

CharlieD New Member

State:
    Lincoln,Ar
    I caught a channel cat below L&D 12 here in Arkansas 2 weeks ago that was full of eggs.. Don't know whats going on.

17. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    About 3 weeks ago I had the samething happen. Strange since the water temp was in the lower 40s.
    Bill

18. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    just caught 2 more with eggs this weekend and water temp was 50degs.

19. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Chris is right on with his assessment. I caught a few channel just a couple weeks ago that also had small egg sacks...and have done so many times in the past as well.

I too at first was puzzled about this as well...until a few years ago when I asked a KS DNR biologist about it when I happened across him at a local strip pit overseeing a bi-weekly stocking of trout.

He said basically the same thing...the fish did not find a suitable place to spawn...or...he added...that some fish will also have a secondary spawn...but do not do so due to water temps or various other factors...such as higher or lower water levels...or heavier than average current in rivers...that do not trigger the urge to actually do the deed. Which results in the fish absorbing the eggs back into their systems.