Eggs in Catfish in Oct???

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by TennesseeJugger, Oct 14, 2009.

1. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I cleaned some fish and 5 out of 8 had eggs in them, do catfish spawn twice a year? Whats up with the eggs?

2. festus

festus New Member

Good question. Someone else asked the same thing a few days ago. I really don't know the answer, but know someone who might. He has a degree in fishery biology or something similar. Don't know how to contact him, but I can get hold of his brother in law. I filleted a bluegill early this week that also had eggs.

3. redbone

redbone New Member

State:
    smiths sta
    what type of fish ? caught in what water ?

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I have always been told that they do spawn twice a year . Not sure if its channels or all fish . I have caught fish all year long with eggs in them . Maybe some are later then others .

5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
  6. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    this year. First time that I have ever seen this. These fish have been coming out of the ohio river. I just caught a couple 2 weeks ago that dumped the eggs in my boat. They looked like they had begun to go bad. I "think" it was because water was up during the spawn and pushed them back out. You could ask shad man about this. He is on here in the Indiana forum he has a fisheries degree. I have asked this and that was his short answer as we really never got into it.

7. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    was supposed to say water had been up and then dropped rapidly. Did this several times. Also temp would get up around 80 something and then drop back down as the water dropped down. The water temp on the ohio seem to stay in the upper 70's all summer long.

8. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i dont know about catfish but i know this time of year suckers and forage fish will be full of eggs to hold over until spring. All of my cutbait this year has had eggs in them

9. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
  10. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Channel Cats caught in Old Hikory Lake in Tennessee.