Eggrolls

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Boomer, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I like making my own homemade eggrolls, that way I can put what I want in them. I usually use sausage and sometimes will add shrimp, you can use about anything, chicken, hamburger.

2 1 lb rolls of sausage (Use quality sausage, I like Jimmy Deans)
    2 packages of shredded cabbage (1 lb bags, you can shred it yourself, but I have found it is about the same price and a lot less head ache)
    1 medium ginger root
    Egg roll wrappers (I get mine at oriental supermarkets)
    1 egg
    salt
    pepper

In a LARGE skillet fry the sausage or hamburger (if you are using hamburger) and cruble it into small pieces. Peel ginger root, I use a hand shredder, because ginger root is very fiberous, and I dont like the fiber in it. When sausage is done, add the cabbage and ginger, salt and pepper, and turn heat down and cover skillet. I like my cabbage a little bit firm, depending on how you like it depends on the time in the skillet, stir to mix the ginger and grease from the meat all thru the cabbage. In a small bowl whisk egg.

It took me awhile to figure out how to roll the egg rolls, will try and explain. I take some flour and put on a cutting board to keep the eggroll wrappers from sticking. Lay them out, where one corner is facing you. Place a about 2 table spoons of mixture between the corner facing you and the middle of the eggroll wrapper. I like to use a paint brush and paint the edges of the eggroll wrapper, this acts as a glue when you put it in the grease. Overlap the meat with the corner and start rolling. When you get to the center stop and pinch the corners over, making sure they stick. continue to roll.

I like to deep fry mine until they are golden brown. Some caution must be used here. If the eggroll wrappers comes undone and you are using alot of grease, it could cause problems. Drop eggrolls in gently. I use a screen spoon that I fish my fish out of the deep fryer with.

2. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Thanks for the egg roll recipe.
    Now I'm off to try it !:eek:oooh::smile2:

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here's a recipe for some I made that everyone seemed to like:

EGG ROLLS WITH SAUSAGE CURRY FILLING

12 egg roll skins

1/2 head shredded cabbage
    3 finely chopped green onions
    1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
    1 tbsp. cooking oil
    1 lb. sausage, fried and crumbled
    2 eggs, beaten
    2 tbsp. dry red wine or water
    2 tsp. curry powder
    1/2 tsp. salt

In a skillet cook cabbage, green onions and garlic in hot oil for 3 to 4 minutes or until cabbage is crisp tender. Remove from heat and add sausage. In a small mixing bowl mix well eggs, wine or water, curry powder and salt. Stir into sausage cabbage mixture. Fill the egg roll skins with the mixture and brush edges with water and seal. Fry in hot oil 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Makes 12 egg rolls.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    sounds like a good recipe, thanks for sharing

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Gary there is one Secret to making a SUPER tasting Egg Roll and it is to smear some peanut butter on your egg roll wrapper before you fill and fry them,Try it and I think you will really like it.:wink: J.D.

6. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I will have to give that a try, never heard of it.......thanks