egg vs no roll sinkers in current

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by gethenet, Jun 27, 2009.

1. gethenet

gethenet New Member

State:
    IA
    Whats your choice and why ?

2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    no roll in current. because it lays flat on bottom. egg sinkers will push or "roll" in the current.

3. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
  4. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Got to go with no roll in current.

5. cat'n around

cat'n around Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    no rolls, hands fown. current or no current

6. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
  7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'm going to go against the grain here, and say egg sinkers. I can't seem to jig the no rolls loose as good when I get hung up. I have eggs and no rolls from 3 to 6 ounces, and have used both extensively. The no rolls tend to act like a kite in heavy current, and will sometimes actually come up off the bottom. When river conditions are normal on the Great Pee Dee, I like a 4 ounce eggs sinker the best.

Bill in SC

8. gethenet

gethenet New Member

State:
    IA
    I asked the ? as I use eggs , I dont fish fast current mostly dead water in very small rivers. I have been told I am missing the boat and wondered what everyone else was doing. My mold is a egg sinker and they have done wonders for me over the yrs.

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Welcome to the BOC! I didn't see that you were new until your second reply.

Bill in SC

10. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    About the only time I use egg sinkers is when I'm jigging or under a float. All other times I use no rolls, flat bank, or bank sinkers

11. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    No-rolls for me about 99% of the time. They work wonders in current.

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Adam Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. I use both but prefer the no roll in current.:0a22::0a25::0a25:

13. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I've found bank sinkers cast and hold better for me.

14. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i used to use alot of disc sinkers then went with the no-rolls, found the no-rolls cheaper and held bottom a little better:wink:

15. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    No roll sinkers work great as long as you have the appropriate weight. If you use a 1 oz. no roll in a current where you need 4 ounces or more, the 1 ounce will pick up in the current and act like a brick wall pushing against the current, and will drag you down river or into a snag worse than an egg sinker would.

But I always use no rolls, and I always use more-than-enough weight for this reason. However I've been using up my bank sinkers because I have way too many of them, and I know my spots very well at the moment.

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well if you want to try a flat sinker take a piece of coat hanger and stick it in the hole of your egg sinker then smack the crap out of it with a big hammer then pull out the coat hanger.

17. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    can you use a no roll on a threeway rig or will it roll,

18. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Never used anything but eggs and now drift or "slinky" weights. Make both myself. I don't fish in the river from the bank though. If you've got a boat I don't see the need for anything else.

If I fish from the bank or dock, it's in the lake or in a pond. There is doesn't matter what you use, just as long as it's heavy enough to hold it on the bottom.

I use the slinky weights pretty much exclusively now. They don't hang up like anything else, plus I can use them to wrap around my rod and keep my rods from tangling together when I'm not fishing.

I would rather my bait move a little bit than stay at the same place. Part of the reason why I like drift fishing so much. Even when I'm in the river in the boat I like to cast across the river and let my baits swing around. I do get hung up some, but I pick up some nice fish that way as well. Sometimes that will be the only rod that catches fish, then we move over there and catch more. If I were fishing from the bank though I wouldn't want to have to reel in and recast every few minutes, but if it would take 10-20 minutes to swing around I would want to do that rather than have it stay at the same place. That covers more ground and I feel that that's more likely to get a bite than sitting in one place. Plus I feel you'll get harder strikes if the bait is moving - another reason I like drift fishing, you don't typically get soft bites, they grab it and run. Even when I'm anchored in the river and throw down stream or anchored in the lake I typically reel my lines 5 to 10 feet every so often. When the biting is slow most of my bites typically come right after reeling my line in a little bit like that.

19. muddyriverdogz

muddyriverdogz New Member

State:
    Illinios
    I use 4 oz egg sinker's and catch plenty of flats.It holds it on the bottom and thats all i need a sinker to do,i dont care if it moves a little heck the bait i use moves to.

An egg sinker will roll around a bit and find that deep hole you missed when you casted out there,and thats probaly where big fat flatys hanging out!!!:big_smile:

20. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    First of all, I definently use the NO-ROLL sinkers in current situations. Reason being they are designed for that. Egg sinkers work great during bank fishing conditions where current isn't an issue. Fishing in current is a situation where weight selection is key. The weight of the sinker and style, determines the best presentation for catching the fish!!

Myself, I like using a 2oz sinker in moderate fast current. Sometimes, I'll upgrade to a 4-5oz. sinker and possibly use an 8oz when the water is really swift. " Right by the spillway in an inlet." Lots of time I'll use only a 1oz, when the water is calm. That allows enough weight for a good cast and bait presentation. I go with short leaders in fast current and longer leaders in slow current. Short leaders keeps the bait from swirling in the water and makes it look more natural to the fish.