Egg Sinker Mold Pin

Discussion in 'Sinker Making Institute' started by katzilla, Nov 17, 2009.

1. katzilla

katzilla New Member

State:
    TX
    What do you use for an egg sinker mold pin? I needed to make a batch this weekend but couldn't find my pin. I put in a wire hanger and it was the perfect diameter but the sinkers just stuck to it. I never did get them off. Should I just wait for a Do-It pin to pop up on eBay or are there any reliable methods out there?

2. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    a wire clothes hanger has always worked for me,make sure the mold isn't too tight around the hanger,you can do a dry run,it aught to come out pretty easy,if it does your good just dont take too much time after you pour your lead.

3. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    just coat it with some light weight oil it will work fine

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Lucky for me I havent lost mine yet . I believe it is made of brass , might have something to do with it . Try spraying it with pam of some non stick stuff . Pull the wire soon after pouring .

5. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I'd order a pin from Do-it. I have used rebar tie wire, and hangers, but if the wire is bent at all its tough to get the sinkers off.

6. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I've used coat hanger wire before,try after cutting to length taking some fine sandpaper and sanding the wire till it shines then coat with spam or some wd-40 and start pouring,remove it while the lead is still very hot before it shrinks onto the wire.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    You can get some copper brazing wire, the same size as the factory mold pin or you can use Pam Cooking spray on the coat hanger or both.

8. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I broke mine once and got a new brass rod from the hardware store for a few bucks. Don't use steel. Use what came with the mold.

9. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    you can get one from do-itmolds.com for like $4

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    The wire Diameter of the pin is 3/32nd. A 3/32nd welding rod with the flux taken off makes a great pin. Smoke the pin by holding it at the top of a candle flame till black with suit will make for easier removal. Smoking the molds with the candle make the sinkers release easier too.