Egg or Triangle Weight?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by BILLYP, Jan 16, 2007.

1. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    I have heard and seen that triangle weights work better in the river becasue it doestn tumble around like an egg sinker. Does anybody else feel this way, or is it better to have your bait move with the current with an egg sinker?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

You may consider "no-roll" sinkers. They are designed to hold the botton as well. I use the pyramid sinkers and bunker sinkers for surf fishing but, not in the river are lake. They seem to snag more than no roll and egg sinkers. just my opinion

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    if the bait rolls around it could drift under a rock resulting in no bites I use bank sinkers in river fishing and eggs for laks fishing

4. Shep

Shep New Member

State:
    Lamar Arkansas
    I like the no roll they don't seem to get hung up so much

5. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like the no-roll for river fishing. The pyramids are fine if you have a sandy bottom with no rocks or snags. If your concern if with bait presentation, I would suggest putting your sinker on a slide above the bait so the bait is free to move with no drag from the sinker.

6. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    What I usually do is have a leader about 12-24 inches long on a swivel and the sinker sets about that with a stop so the sinker doesnt slam down on the swivel.

7. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I prefer no roll sinkers for most applications. Egg sinkers are fine if there is no current.

8. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC
    NO ROLL is the best in river fishing.Too many snags and limbs to roll and wrap around.I have used every type of sinker made fishing the Neuse River.I use a fish finding rig with tear drop sinkers. Tear drop shape will slide over limbs and snags better than pyramid sinkers.If you like the pyramid style,I would use a plastic slider and tie 10 LB test to attach the sinker. Enough to hold during cast but,if it hangs on a snag you can break it.If the tear drop rolls add more weight,I hardly never use less than 6 OZS!!!I hope this helps,if you need more info please let me know!!!

9. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I read on this forum somewhere that you can take egg sinkers and put a small nail into the line hole and beat the egg sinker down with a hammer and make it a flat no-roll sinker. Has anyone actually tried this?

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Take a big hammer, find a hard surface, and bang away. Lead's soft, it may work.

11. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC
    Beating an egg sinker will not work because the nail or wire will not come out!!!I have tried this plenty of times,if you loop the wire out the hole and back in the hole and beat it you will have a spot to put a slider.It comes out rough(may cut line) and ugly,it also gets so big and hangs up alot.

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would say to save the egg sinker and purchase the no-roll sinker. The way I fish, I go through a lot of sinkers each year. The egg sinker you beat today may be the one you need to fish with tomorrow. I was gonna say sinkers are cheap, but they are not cheap any more. LOL. Guess everyone needs to invest in a mold and do some swapping at the gatherings.

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think the triangle sinker would work well, u might try beating the egg sinker flat so it dont roll.

14. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The no roll sinkers are the best for rivers with a fast currant. I also use the triangle some times but I will tie it off a swivel with 10lb mono so when it gets hung up most of the time I will only loose the sinker.