Efficient heaters

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by RiverKing, Nov 6, 2009.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Anyone have any recomendations of a good radiator heater or electric heater that doesnt run your electric bill up? Im not real concerned about the cost of the actual heater, but I am trying to keep the monthly bill down. I have gotten bills in the winter that are 450.00 smackers.

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Damn Man! I was hoping you meant for the boat! I need to get mine setup to block some wind, and heat the feet! rollo

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Put some walls on that house and it will be cheaper to heat!!:crazy:

Seriously, how much house are you heating?
    Last time I saw bills that large I was living in a 100 yo farm house with no insulation. In fact, you could look down between the walls from the attic and see the dirt under the house. Darn near fly a kite in front of the windows.

I am thinking that you might need to look into a woodstove.

4. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    First I would look into cutting down on energy losses that you must have. After that I would look into getting a few small heaters to put in bedrooms living room etc and then drop the temp of the rest of the house some.

5. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    hey matt, look into your local community action association. the goverment passed a bill as part of the stimulus project to help families with weatherization. Im doing this work now ( in the insulation part) . Some of what it includes is HVAC update, tune-up, or replacement. Insulation, and airsealing of homes. Updating appliances to more energy efficient ones. also replacing small items such as lightbulbs can lower your bill. i was suprised at the difference compact florecent bulbs make. hope this helps you a bit! just do a google search for your town, or county, and community action. you should find a number to call.

6. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Jason, I have found that Rocky boots do very well at that feet thing.:smile2:

Just dress like you're hunting in mid January.:wink: It works for me...so far.

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have a 125 year old house that doesn't cost half that much to heat. Sounds like weather proofing is in order. You'd be amazed what a few bucks worth of caulking will do. Next, I'd look into a water heater timer and blanket, weather stripping on all the doors and windows, and rent an insulation blower from Lowes or Home Depot to do the attic space. If you have a dryer, there is an attachment that allows you to direct the dryer heat to the inside during the winter and outside during the summer. There are a lot of things you can do that are more effective, and cheaper in the long run, than new heaters.

8. Cuda

Cuda Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    A nylon stocking works on the dryer tube too. If you look into a blower you may want to do the walls too. You could get the plastic film for on the windows to. Every little bit helps when you start looking for thing that will help save. One thing here one thing there will all help in the long run.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The best money spent is fixing the problem.
    I'm heating 2000 square foot on about 300 gallons of propane a year.
    Thermapane windows and good insulation.

In fact I get asked why I didn't face my house towards the highway,
    Simple, I didn't want to face the largest side of the house to the north.
    It makes a difference.

10. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    You got something against the North?:smile2:

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The cold north wind for starters.:smile2:

12. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Dude, that's half a house payment. build, buy, rent a different and more efficient place to live...whew...:cool2:

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Like everyone else said,Winterize/upgrade. I live in a 16x80 single wide with siding and shingles that is total elecrtic,My electric bill is under 160.00 a month most every month except jan,feb I also have a heat pump /central unit. I lowered our monthly bill by nearly 40.00 a month just by switching the bulbs to the new curly que ones,and just not leaving things like phone chargers plugged in helps more than you might think.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  14. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I agree with insulating too. They can also insulate your walls with a couple of small holes in each space.

If you have tall ceilings, there will be a lot of heat that stays at the ceiling. Using ceiling fans can help force that warm air towards the floor. You might want to do a little testing but I've always heard that low speed in reverse direction gives the best circulation for winter time.

An instant water heater can help too your total energy bill too, but that's probably not worth the savings unless you need to replace your current water heater. Just something to think about for the future. I definitely plan on getting one when mine needs replacing

15. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In

billie is right, you can rent the machines for the attic. however, these machines WILL NOT dense pack walls with cellulose insulation. the machines that most companies have, will do the job. ive been to several homes recently, where the homeowner has already quoted the price for the "do-it-yourself" method. by the time everything is figured in, and the time involved.. you might be better off just to hire someone to do it. the crew im on, 2 of us can do an average size attic to an R38 in just a few minutes. it literally takes longer setting up than it does to do the work. walls take longer though, pull the siding, drill holes between every stud, dense pack with insulation, plug holes, and replace siding.

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Everytime I've priced insulating something, hiring an insulation company to supply the materials and labor was cheaper then I could buy the materials.

17. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Plus you have the added benefit of not having to do it yourself. Whenever I decide to do something, I first take a moment and calculate how long I think it will take me, and then how much I consider my time worth. It usually ends up being a better deal to let the professionals do it.

18. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I see them Amish heaters in magazines, I think they run about 500 bucks, and will heat about 1000 sqft. I don't know how efficient they are but they advertise to cut your heat bill. I figure electric is electric, and they are all about the same. A small fan even on the floor will get air moving and get the warm air off the ceiling if ya don't have a ceiling fan.

Seal all cracks, double or triple pane windows, and insulate. That will make a difference. Weatherstripping on doors and windows helps.