Effects of full moon on river fishing?

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by Romo, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Romo

Romo New Member

State:
    PA
    Anyone have any ideas on this? Last night it was bright as day and the fish were not biting at all. I know the high pressure we've had for the past few days in the eastern part of the state hasn't helped, but I was wondering if the moon perhaps turns them off as well.

2. dirt138

dirt138 New Member

State:
    Springdale, Pennsylvania
    I don't know too much about why but fishing always seems to be a little worse during the full moon. I do know that the reason the fish weren't hitting last night was more due to the fact that the pressure was rising. the pressure levels have a very big impact on the fishing but are widely missunderstood. It is of very little importance what the pressure level actually is. The only thing you need to know is if it is rising, falling, or holding. Last night it was rising and that is the worst possible time to fish. When it is holding steady it can be hit or miss depending on how long it has been there. This time of year you can do okay when the pressure is holding because the fish are getting fat for winter. The best time to fish however is when the pressure starts to fall right on throuh till it starts to rise. This is the time when great fish stories are made. I have a watch that will tell me if the pressure is rising or falling but you can also use natural signs. The pressure will fall as a storm front is moving in and will continue to do so until the storm passes. As soon as the storm system moves through in most cases there will be a pressure spike that kills the bite. You can also look at the trees when the pressure is dropping you will notice leaves on trees upside down and not very many birds flying because its harder for them to fly in low pressure. At times when the water is super hot or in winter time when fish are hard to find fishing the pressure drops is a must and can make the difference in a great day and the skunk. Hope this helps!!

3. Romo

Romo New Member

State:
    PA
    thanks for the info dirt. we have had very good luck before storms move through but it is not always easy to tell otherwise what the pressure is doing. i like the watch idea and will look into it.

4. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Full moon suck's stay home clean your tackel, save your bait.:angry:

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I've been out during the full moon phase the past 4 months and the conditions were low clear water, clear sky, bright moon shining down and the fishing was terrible!:crazy: I would have liked to seen how things were if the water was up a bit and some cloud cover but ...:eek:oooh:. The solunar tables always call this a peak time for fishing each month but it hasn't been that way for me but like I say the other conditions come into play!

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Its impact on tidal rivers is really felt. Much higher tides when its full. Floods quite a bit of new ground to fish.

7. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I personally have had my best luck on a full moon..Caught my personal best on a full moon actually.

8. Romo

Romo New Member

State:
    PA
    thanks for all the replies. i still think im gonna pass on fishing tonights full moon unless we get some rain later.

9. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I also read the solunar tables and there was a full moon night that it predicted would be good fishing. Didn't catch a fish, but also had never seen the tide ripping the way it was.

Good advice on the falling pressure theory. I will take note of it when I fish and see if my results match up with yours.

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I'm with jigerjim, stay home.

As you can see last night Romo, we couldn't even get a channel to bite.
    Full moons are futile!

11. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I personally think it depends on the body of water, and the location. I have also caught fish during a full moon.

12. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Why are you guys looking at the moon? You should be looking at your rods and lines......:smile: