Effective minnow flies

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by blindfly69, Jul 13, 2006.

1. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    does anybody know of some effective minnow flies that i could try??? right now im stuck....lol i seem to be only able to think of mosquitos, ants and grasshoppers

2. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    well i use them little foam spiders for gills... dont know if they would work kinda depends on how big of fish ur wanting o catch...

there is a million dry flys out there so maybe look at where ur fishing and see what kinda bugs and what not are around u and maybe that will help u decide on what flys to bring with u

Jeff

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    The best Minnow patterns would be a Clouser Minnow, Muddler Minnow and White wooley Buggers, and that would be my preference in that order.

Clousers are really easy to tie also.

Salmonid

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey, I reread the post and Jeff ( Field989) PM's me so if your looking for flies that can be used to catch small chubs and minnows for bait purposes, i would stick with a tiny black Ant ( size 18), Griffiths Gnat ( size 20) and a small Pheasant tail in about a size 18, just my 3 favorites plus the ant and gnat allow you to watch the strike!! Bonus!!

salmonid

5. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Yep griffiths gnats n small hares ear nymphs would be my choice. Griffiths gnats are great dryfly attractor pattern since they're basically all hackle and float like crazy. Small hares ear nymphs are just buggy lookin and are another great attractor pattern.

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I have an idea to reinvent the black nosed dace streamer. I grew up on the perkiomen river and used them for live bait for years. I just dont like the streamer thats out for them. but I dont tie so I cant try anything. grrr....

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    ok heres my ideas

first i'd like to use maribu instead of deer hair and those barbel eyes in a small size. and please get rid of the red behind! not anatomically correct. I'd like to tie 2 patterns one male, one female. female should be smaller sized in the brown, black & white pattern but no tinsil body just regular white or cream. The males develope beautiful orange pectoral fins in the spring during spawning time. I'd like the male pattern to be slightly larger then the female pattern and to have something orange to mimick the male in breeding dress. Chasing these dace with a hand net in a creek shows just agile they truely are. I dont think the deer hair lets them perform closer to reality. I prefer the action of the malibu and with weighted eye or with a wire wrap, I can make them dart about better.

anyone else have any suggestions to this pattern before I ask a tier to try it? I'd call it Daw's Dace.

8. WhoJosh

WhoJosh New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    ive never caught much on a fly rod but i was recommended clouser deep minnow for smallmouths. id say wooly buggers would be good too or the wooly spin (wooly bugger with a torpedo spinner on the front sold at bass pro shops).