Effect of catfish spawn at Baldwin Lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by drcwaynem, Jun 21, 2006.

1. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    How and when does the spawn affect Catfish at Baldwin or does it even affect them at all?

Wayne

2. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    thats funny, i was thinking the same thing. the only thing that might affect its triggering would be the phototropic period, however i think the water temp is the only real thing matters, correct me if im wrong. that being said i think the fish probably spawn all year round(not all at once but scattered fish here and there) in areas that support such activity. that maybe why that lake is full of those tiny little channels. im probably going to make a trip there this weekend on that assumption. hope im right

good luck

3. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm with you. I will probably hit it next weekend (Fri Jun 30 a.m.) and do some drifting if the weather is right. Too busy this weekend. I just want to find a way to catch the bigger channel and flats without the little bait stealers getting to my bait first.

4. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    yeah usually at baldwin you have to sit through a hundred of those little ones to catch even a 5 lber. usually the blues bite better when theyve got all of the stacks going. best bet would be the only deep holes in the lake right off the intake side of the diversion jetti thres only two that ive found and as far as i know they are the only ones in the lake. if any you guys know where there s more deep water be kind and let me know LOL!!
    i cant find any. anyway im going to try my best to get up there this weekend, ill leave a report if i make it

good luck

5. Bigdan99

Bigdan99 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Where is Baldwin lake located at. I have heard of it but I am not familiar with it. I want to find a few lakes to fish. I mostly fish the Mississippi but I got a two and a half year old boy I want to take fishing and I'm a little nervous about taking him to the river.

6. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    its in baldwin illinois, its right between red bud and sparta off of rt 15?? something. if you know what road im talking about you just have to turn left at caseys and follow the signs.

7. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    baldwin would be alright for the little one if the day is calm, but it is a wide open lake, and is very shallow on average (like 5-6 ft),when the wind picks up it will produce some serious waves that could be dangerous also, so youll have to watch the weather close(with the open nature of the area you can usually see bad weather coming far off),but ive seen that lake turn bad real quick a few times so be careful.

8. Bigdan99

Bigdan99 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thanks for the info. it's hard to me to find lakes to fish especially farm lakes. So I got to look for local lakes. Farmers will let you fish but they like to see a little green for exchange but then I like to go fishing and I been known to tie my rods down and taking my boy to play at the playground which ain't that bad due that we both get to do what we enjoy. it's better if my wife can go but she doesn't like fishing and hot weather. also she gets scheduled to work on weekends I get off for some reason.es b

9. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    heres a baldwin flatty my friend caught 3 weeks ago
    hw wont tell me where but its baldwin:angry: