EELS?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by bettadaze, Sep 10, 2008.

1. bettadaze

bettadaze New Member

State:
    Burlington,NC
    Where's the best place to catch eels? And what method is best for catching them?:cool2:

2. Coors

Coors New Member

State:
    north carolina
    their was someone on one of these post,(can,t remember who) said something about a burlap sack w/pork liver in it and a big rock to sink it. The eels would work til they got inside, EAT then would be too tired to get out. But, like fish they have got to be there first. Hope i said that right??

3. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i have caught eels by accident while trying to catch blue cats before. They tore into the shrimp on all my hooks but I only caught a couple because their mouths aren't very big in comparison to the size hooks I was using. Best advice is to focus on pilings and riprap with shrimp on small hooks. This technique has worked for me around wilmington on the fear but i have not tried it elsewhere. other than that I have heard that eel traps can get you bunch. there are also some bait shops that carry them at 2-2.50 a piece. county line bait and tackle in castle hayne has them year round.

4. bettadaze

bettadaze New Member

State:
    Burlington,NC
    Thanks, if I can't catch I may have to buy some. I was wanting to find some where to catch some. They are nasty little critters to handle but work good for catfish I hear. We used to catch them in the Ohio River when I was a kid. But since the stripper population has grown over the years no more eels.:sad2:

5. bettadaze

bettadaze New Member

State:
    Burlington,NC
    Any eels in the Nuese river?

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I know they're in the Cape, NE Cape, and the Black Rivers.

7. bettadaze

bettadaze New Member

State:
    Burlington,NC
    Thanks, I've been meaning to get down there anyways.:tounge_out:

8. reloader1220_270

reloader1220_270 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    in a little creek about 14 to 17 miles from me there is a blue million of em. i go at night and set up 2 lights on either side of me and they will come in in droves. i usually fish for bream and small channels there to kill the time wile i wait.

9. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I never had been around eels growing up and when I was in the service I was back in your partof the country. Two of us was
    fishing and he caught
    a big one. Being scared of snakes I was fixing to let the eel have the boat but
    luckily the other guy got him out of the boat before I left. I still don't like the things. Watched the video the other day how to cut them and use them for bait. No way fellows. Worms is as close as I'll get.

10. bettadaze

bettadaze New Member

State:
    Burlington,NC
    What creek would that be? Just wondering.:wink:

11. cobra

cobra New Member

State:
    north carolina
    ryan will tell you how to catch them critters

12. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    There are eels in the lower neuse for sure, have never really tried to trap them but have caught them on the bottom with light tackle.