eels: where to hook them?

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by bamaboy00, Nov 16, 2005.

1. bamaboy00

bamaboy00 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Where is the best place to hook an eel so it will stay on a hook. And whats the best rig to use one on.

2. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    You can hook them anywheres really and am sure they'll stay on the hook.Usually they are hooked through the nose,or the middle of the back.
    They'll work on any rig,but i like to use baitholding hooks,but have also used circles with them too.

I heard if you smack em in the head they get still,making it easier to put on the hook.Guess it makes um dizzy or maybe a slight concussion,LMAO.Either way it werks,couldn't resist trying that!
    You can stick em in ice fer a few seconds too and this will also calm them enough to put on a hook.

Real question here is how ya hold on to em....LOL

I like useing an old scrub pad,but found the ice or coldcocking them its not really needed.

3. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Smack an eel? Ohhhhh! PETA will be on to ya. LOL
    I use plain circle hooks and hook them from underside, right behind the poop hole.
    The whack-a -eel does work or use a rag like a wash cloth to hold em.

4. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    I keep my eels in a plastic grocery store bag on ice in a cooler. They stay alive forever that way and they're also nice and docile until I get the hook in 'em. Just keep them out of any water. To hold on to them I merely use a rag - piece of cake then.

I have run into problems with lip hooked eels twisting while in the water and making a TOTAL MESS of my terminal tackle. Using a heavier(stiffer) leader seems to help a little bit by forcing the twisting up into the swivel that the leader's attached to. Hooking them through the back about half way down their length also seems to help.

I'm still undecided as to what works better.

I fish them on a plain ole carolina rig but there may be better options. I'm curious to hear some opinions on that one myself.

/Scott

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Bamaboy, there was some discussion on this subject on another forum recently that may help answer your question, too: Click Here to Read. Hope it helps.

6. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    If you cut the tip of their tail off, about 2 inches or so they wont be able to twist up your rig. I learned this from the man in this area that owns a major eel farm. I hook them either two ways, if I am using them whole I hook them right behind the anal. If I am using them cut I slide the hook down the inside of their skin about an inch and a half to two inches and poke it through. To this day I have never had an eel get off the hook.

7. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    My goodness,we went from whacking them to whacking off their tails.....LMBO

I have a hard time getting them off the hook when i'm done with em,they're tough!

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I hook them threw the lips and they stay in there great. And my favorite rig to use on them is a carolina rig, with a long leader. And if you put them on there live they may tangle all up in your rig, that tends to happen sometimes really nothing you can do about that when you use them live. The are very tough, and can be very hard to hold. Also using big chunks of them works great for blues! They really can be awesome bait!

good luck! :)

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Old 50,s trick.Black & white printed newspaper,in your hand,will hold a eel.Use new sheet each time.pee-wee williams

10. coolbig2

coolbig2 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    Where do you get eels? We have many a lake around here, but very few baitshops, if any, that I know of.