Eels- How to catch them without traps?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by shellerflat, Dec 29, 2006.

1. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    What is the best technique for catching eels in the river without using traps?

2. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i use kinda like a spot rig. one hook high and one below the hook. email me i explain more to you. either use a small number 10 hook or 8 and a piece of worm or chicken liver. fish near rock piles or locks and trash piles. hope this helps some.

3. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    first and formost welcome to the BOC. Second I catchem the same way I fish for cats, the location is the only different thing. That and the size of bait. Piers rock piles and jetties seem to produce the best results. Good luck

4. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    a guy i used to fish with was always catchin them on accident, he was fishin for channel cats, but he was near the bank down river from us, and just outside of a huge weedbed... he would catch them like crazy and only a few channel cats... oh... he used shrimp as bait, and they seemed to love it.

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    All of my trot lines had loops for a drop line every 24 inches.Trot line was 300-400 lb.test.drop lines were 10 to 100 lb.test and looped.I could change drop lines to suit fishing for small bait to large cats.For bait I used light line,#6 long shanked bream hooks with small segments of shrimp.I just cut the line as close to the hook as possible and left the hook in the Eel as it normally did less damage.The still water of old rivers and lakes off of the main stream seemed the best along the Savannah river.For live Eels for bait.I would lay 2 bags of Ice in the bottom of a old 48 quart cooler with the drain open and put the eels in.They keep well all day with Bagged Ice kept in the bag and the cooler Drain open.Dump your ice in out of the bag,close your drain and they will die.Use old black and white only newspaper to catch and handle your Eels to hook.Save slimy paper to discard in trash can.Good luck.I love you brother.peewee

6. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Appreciate it, that will get me started