Eels .....help!

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by rangercatman, Nov 14, 2006.

1. rangercatman

rangercatman Member

State:
    Cameron, NC
    Ive read the documented forums on cathching eels. Im up to speed but.... Im having problems catching them on the capefear near fayettville
    1. How deep of water should your eel pot be in... middle of the river or is it ok on the bank?
    2. Specific bait? Ive heard cheese,dog food, etc. Is there anything else out there? Also putting it in a pantyhose.
    3. How long should the trap be in & are EELS seasonal? Can I catchthem during winter?
    4. Where on the c/f is the best spot to collect them? I am in hoke county (rockfish) are ther other rivers creeks around Fayettville to collect them?

Any & help isgreatly appreciated .. THANKS

Dave

2. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i've caught eels on the cape fear... but i was up near sanford... i got them in my pots in the warm stream from the powerplant, and i used dog food, but they were comin slow... one of my friends was always catchin them on rod and reel in the shallows of the main river, he was using shrimp tryin to catch channels... i don't know the specifics of catchin them... but thats the info i have to share

3. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    ok first set them either rock piles in river or near some type of sturcture. think of a place you would hide if evrything was trying to eat you. ok now for bait. i use old fish and chicken liver. best baits i have found. when you clean fish save some of them backbone and livers from them. now on depth it depends on time of year. around now i would do about 11 feet deep or some where near that and close to bank . hope this helps some.

4. nathan8372

nathan8372 New Member

State:
    South Texas
    Do yall eat eels up there?

Nathan

5. jimmyk

jimmyk New Member

State:
    virginia
    Try using squid for bait. I have caught them on rod and reel with squid before. Hope this helps.

6. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    why do you want to catch eels? what are they good for?

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I heard Eels make good bait for stripers.

8. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Eels are probably the best bait I have ever used for catfish. They are very durable IE they cant get stripped off the hook by a catfish. I normally use eels in the 12-18" range. I use both cut and whole eels for cats. When I am fishing I normally use half whole and half cut. I cut the eels in half and prefer the head end of it. The eels will stay alive after you cut them for a few hours. the still wiggle on the hook and also bleed into the water enticing catfish to bite. If you use whole eels you should still cut about 2-3" off their tail, this will make them less likely to wrap up your line and it puts blood in the water. I have caught my three personal bests on eels, 56lb blue, 46lb flat and 19lb channel. The fish in my avatar was the 56lb blue. I hope to beat that this year but we'll see.

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

They make an excellent bait for catfish and stripers.
    www.nceelfarm.com

Not all types but these are the one's we are refering to for bait.

10. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    Eels work really well as bait. Dead or alive!!

11. waitinforwhiskers

waitinforwhiskers New Member

State:
    Port Lavaca, Texas
    i am going to try to catch some eels myself if i can. I used eel once and a friend that was fishing with me caught three good sized blue cats and 2 gars and had to cut the piece of eel off when we left.