Eels for flathead catfish bait

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Blacky, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    The Schuykill River has a big population of American eels. Has anyone ever caught a flathead on an eel? If you say that a flathead will eat anything, wouln't it eat an eel? One thing about eels are that they are very lively!!!! The will squirm and wiggle around for hours. I have caught 3 different stripers on the same eel.

peace,
    tan
    "SAVE PA FLATHEADS"

2. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    I have not personally caught a flathead on an eel but know of several people that have. Just make sure you use live bait and it should work out great.

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have always heard they are great, but haven't had a chance to try it myself. Let us know!

4. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    JAinSC..I have caught a few eels over the years fishing the river but my question is do you go fishing for eels for bait and if so ... what bait do you use to catch them? Any secrets you want to share? I hooked a big one on the Missouri and my dad refused to dip it..I still laugh thinking of that..he swore it was a big snake!!

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sorry, realy don't know how to collect eels for bait. Some places they sell them in bait shops near the ocean. I know they can be caught in traps (eel pots), but they might not be legal everywhere.

I'm like you. I have caught a few over the years on cut bait, but not like a reliable supply. They also seemed a bit big to use as a live bait. Prolly make pretty good cut bait, though.

6. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    The N.C. state record flathead was caught on an 18" live eel. I use eels all the time and they are the best all around bait that I have found, for all cats. So far my biggest cat is a 56lb blue caught on cut eel, and 35# flathead on live eel.

7. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Several years ago I caught a rather large eel on the river and brought it back with us..an old man told me to skin the eel and cut the meat in 1" pieces and let is sit in the sun and it would make some of the best catfish bait he had ever used.. I worked several hours skinning that slimy thing, gutting it, and then cutting it in these perfect 1" pieces.. I set them all out on the piece of tin and set it on top of my shed roof. After about an hour or so, my wife was standing in the kitchen doing dishes and she asked me what I had put on the shed roof and I told her it was the eel. She started laughing saying I dont know how good it was going to be for catfish but it sure works on the neighborhood cats! I ran to the window to see 4 cats on that roof eating my eel..I ran outside climbed to the roof and found two pieces left..after calling the cats several names I can not use I threw the last two pieces at them..