Eels for bait

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by WhiskerSticker40, Mar 9, 2007.

1. WhiskerSticker40

WhiskerSticker40 New Member

State:
    SC
    Good evening to each and everyone of you! Man, I love this place and my wife hates it! Actually she thinks it is cool as well. So much input and advice. Thanks to everyone who has made me feel right at home. Time for some more stupid questions: I have seen and heard more and more people state that they use eels for cat bait. Is this live, whole eels and what size? How do you hook them ( I know with a hook:crazy: but are they hooked through the lips, etc..? Do you use them for cut bait or whole? Do you catch them yourselves or is there somewhere that sells them and what do the normally cost? I have caught enough out of Lynches River near Sardis during my younger years to feed half of Santee but never thought about using them for Cats because we were fishing for cats when we caught them. Thanks again and sorry for all the aggrevating questions but ya'll started it!!! LOL. see ya'll on the H2O.

2. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    Irby's Sporting Goods in Florence sells them live. Use them live or as cut bait. If you use them live cut the end of their tail off its supposed to keep them from wrapping themselves around the line. See you Monday.

3. WhiskerSticker40

WhiskerSticker40 New Member

State:
    SC
    Cool. Thanks Ron!

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Use them live or cut I perfer live and i use them anywhere from 10" to 24" the bigger the bait the bigger the fish. I hook mine through the eyes and any of your local sporting goods stores cary them. THey only seem to work good in the rivers never had much luck in the lakes with them.