Eels. Do they work?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by PhillyCatcatcher4, Oct 6, 2007.

1. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Fished last night with my buddy fellow BOC member Bacardipr05. It was a slow night,but he managed to catch an eel. I ended up puting it on my flathead setup as bait. No takers though. My question is have any of you had success using live eels as Flathead bait? I do know that they are great Striper bait.:0a23:

2. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I have never use a eel for bait. only seen one in all the years i have fished the river.

3. Shizzam

Shizzam New Member

State:
    Lancaster,Pa.
    great striped bass bait I agree.

4. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    I know Big Geroge swear's by them for catching channel's.

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Ive never tried them, but know for a fact they do use them down on the Cape Fear river in NC and do quite well catching both blues and flats on them.

6. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I was wondering the same phillycat. I was going to post a thread but then decided not to. I guess we where on the same page there. One thing I (we) can say it sure is some lively bait....

7. Romo

Romo Active Member

State:
    PA
    chunk it for channels.

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Eels usually will twist around your line or swim into rocks or snags and snagg you up.

I know some striper fisherman that hook them through the eyes, this will prevent them from doing that.

I'm sure a flathead will not pass up such a great meal.

9. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    If it has a heartbeat...chances are a flathead will try to eat it.

10. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I have used them a couple of times. The time that sticks out the most is that I caught a 18 pound flathead on a live eel. Released the flathead and the eel was still on the hook and still moving around. I threw to the same wood pile and caught another flathead about 6 pounds. Released that one and threw the almost dead back eel out and got one more bite but missed it.
    I also caught a 18 inch eel one time and put it on a limbline. Next morning a 24 inch channel catfish was on the hook.
    There are a lot of good posts about using eels if you do a search. Also, I got some good advice from NCfisherman. He does well with them and I think eels might be his favorite bait...

11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Clip that tail. That slows em down. Also there is a 6 inch minimum size reg for usein em in the Delaware. Also stick with a carolina rig when usein em. JMO.

12. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    The one I was using was atleast 15 inches long.