Eels as catfish bait - how to hook them

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by bamaboy00, Jan 16, 2007.

1. bamaboy00

bamaboy00 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was hopins some of you guy scan help me with this problem.... when I use an eel i hook him about in the center, but they get up my line some how and get all tangeled up. What is the best way to hook an eel on my line.

2. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC
    The best way I have found is in the head,lip area from bottom under jaw,out of top of head.They are streamline for current,stay alive longer and look more natural.I hope this helps!!!

3. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    I usually cut off their tail and hook them under the jaw, and they havent tangled on me yet.

4. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I hook them a couple of in from the tail and then cut the tell off works good for me.

5. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    look for the anal area and hook about 1 to 2 inches back. then if like you can cut off tip of tail to make bleed some. you have seen me fish i know and it seems that the like it in pieces more. with head being favorite.

6. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Obviously from my question you guys have already guessed I've never used eel for bait. Further more I don't even know where to get them. Never caugnt one or even seen them for sale at the bait shop.
    I've heard of eel traps but I thought they were for salt water.
    So where do ya get them?

7. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I was also wondering how to catch eels. any places that they like to stay in particular?

8. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    most bait stores around here have them. i have caught them myself while catfishing with nightcrawlers. eel pots i believe you have to have a certain type of licsense for. check your local fishing regs.

9. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    by the way the flathead i have in my picture was caught on an eel head that i had just caught with a worm.

10. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    my largest cat came of a whole eel that was just over 6 inches. it's weight was 76 lbs and couple oz. i have a lot of luck useing either cut or whole but i like cut better for some reason. seem to get more bites. but bigger and more aggresive fish hit whole.

11. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    They are wriggly litle bleeders! I fish them a lot. I use a good sized hook, hooked 2/3 of the length of the fish from the head end (nearer the tail than the head). You only need to knick the hook as they have really tough skin. Like a lot have said, if you cut off the tip of the tail it seems to stop most of the tangles. Of course they bleed to death eventually...

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Joe,
    This sounds a liitle cruel, but it works. Hook the eel in one eyeball and out the other. They will not die. The reason for hooking them in the eyes is because it blinds them. Being blind, the eel will not swin into snags or rocks. It will also reduce the eel from wrapping around your line.

13. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I usually steak my eels in three to five inch pieces and hook it at the edge of the piece they are very tough and wont fly off