Eel?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Spongiform, May 12, 2006.

1. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I caught this thing on my last catfishing trip. First time I'd ever seen one up close. Anyone ever try to clean these? I've had fried eel with sushi before and it's pretty tasty.

Are they rare or anything? Like I said, it's the first one I've seen live and upclose outside of an aquarium.

2. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Use by humans
    Freshwater eels (unagi) and marine eels (Conger eel, anago) are commonly used in Japanese cuisine. Eels are used in Cantonese and Shanghai cuisine too. The European eel and other freshwater eels are eaten in Europe, the United States, and other places around the world. A traditional London food is jellied eels. The Basque delicacy, angulas, consists of deep-fried elvers

Eel skins are used in some wallets and purses.

Never tried to clean one...only experience I've had with them is having them wrap around my arm when I try to grab them.

3. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've caught frogs - all kinds, leopards, green, bull and stuff like tree frogs/spring peepers. All kinds of snakes - both land and water. Salamanders, centipedes, millipedes - all sorts of slimey creepy crawlies... but that eel was the slippery slimmliest thing I've ever tried to hold onto in my life!

On another note - it's amazing how many people think _every_ water snake they see is a cottonmouth. :/

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Whack em in the head real hard and chunk his little butt up and get it back on the hook! One of the best baits ya can find. Hook through the dark skin and slice open the white skin to expose the meat and gutts. Ya won't regret it.

5. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Looks like good Cobia bait.. The Cobia are coming in soon!:big_smile:

6. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I run into the same thing. Ive probably hand caught over 500 water snakes and only come across maybe a dozen cottonmouths. I am a huge reptile fan so no fishing trip is complete unless I come across a snake, a turtle, a gator, or some other animal.

I have saved countless diamondback water snakes and brown water snakes from fishermen around the docks tring to kill "that cottonmouth". I usually catch them, go to the next boat ramp and release em :tounge_out: .

One of the funniest moment though was when it was the opposite. One day we were fishing and I saw a kid about 13 years old messing with something in a tree near the bank. I was about 18 at the time, and I went over to check it out. He told me he found a bullsnake hiding in this tree. I went over and found 3 copperheads in the roots of a tree where the water had washed out the dirt. Luckly this boy hadnt messed with them cause he was sure they were only bullsnakes.

7. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    They are eaten here by the German population and most other immagrents in many ways. They are prepared in many ways for the table. Smoking is one way that allows the Fat from them to drain before as they have a HIGH oil content. I personally do not like them, but will on occaision. I use them as BAIT for Wels Catfish primarily. They are indeed Slipery critters. We use a GLOVE or Towel to hold them while placing the hook in its tail. My first Wels came on an eel that was as big as the fish almost. The fish was 15lb. and the eel was maybe half a pound and 18 inches long. If you can get them, use them as bait first. JMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

8. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    better bait then food

simple as that

9. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
  10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Brian, what is that pointy thing coming from the side of that creature? Is it hard and sharp ,or just wet and folded up? I can't tell from the pic, but the eels that I have caught don't have them.

11. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    It's a little fin thing. It's not hard or sharp as I remember. Just folds up if touched.

I took two other pics - but they're not really good - the lil fooker wouldn't hold still. :eek:oooh:

Eel 2
    Eel 3

12. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    hmmm just curious what you guys catch these boogers on

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    In the South Eastern U.S.If it has two small front legs,it is a Greater Siren,which is a type of very large salamander.It can get around two feet or more.I never could catch anything on them,whole or cut up.Tried one as a kid.NOT GOOD TO EAT!I wonder if they may have some type of repulsive agent in their skin,like some salamanders do.Eels can be skinned and cooked like a cat fish.Hook the head on a nail.Make a cut in the skin below the gills,grab with pliers and peel off.Gut.Cut in 3-6 inch pieces to fry.Cut along each side,close and parallel to the back bone.If you don;t do this,the cooked flesh will look raw and bloody along the back bone.My grandfather and some friends liked them,so I kept and cleaned the larger ones for them.Dead or alive.Whole or cut.I found them to be good fresh and saltwater bait.We used to wet several sheets of the black & white pages of the news paper to handle them.You could hold a live one with this to put on a hook.Having worked in paper mills and chemical plants that sell to printers,things have changed with ink and paper.I don;t know if it still works.I agree on the snakes.Cottonmouths are a slow moving water and swamp lover.The faster the water and higher the ground,the less of them as a rule.I think our Gator comeback is putting a hurting on all of the water snakes.A Gator don;t cull them.It eats every kind that it can catch.peewee-williams

14. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    im surprised some many people dont see or catch them more. i guess you need to be on a river. eel go across the ocean in winter to spawn then the young swim all the way back for a year or two. can catch them on anything but they love small peices of chicken liver.

15. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    You can also catch them on small pieces of worm but I guess liver would probably work better.

16. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Wasn't the North Carolina state record flathead caught on an eel?? I believe so.. I want to start usuing them for flatheads too. They are real lively and stay on your hook good.

17. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Yes the state record was taken on an 18" live eel, I believe the state record is 79lbs but I am pretty sure that record will be broken this year by me lol.

18. fishboy

fishboy New Member

State:
    SC
    Well, if I caught that thing, I would upon pulling it out of the water 1. Squeal like a little girl and simultaneously soil myself. If I survived beyond that I would pull out my back out trying to cut the line and never speak of the event again.

19. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    AWESOME CATCH! wow ive caughten eels but not ones like that. did it fight good? ive caughten them darker and longer than that. NICE CATCH THOUGH!!!!

20. lightningmetal10

lightningmetal10 New Member

State:
    new york
    That for sure is an eel. and leme tell you they give one hell of a fight my friend! never caught one but while i was bass fishin, i saw this guy catfishin for bullhead and his rig caught the eye of a huge eel. Took him a good whiel to get him in (he was pissed because it swallowed his hook) therefore he smacked it against the groudn alot until it passed out haha. Ive also seen an eel that had a huge chunk out of its neck (turtle bite :eek:oooh: ) But yea theyre fun to catch but i wouldnt eat them eel slime is very very tough to get off and plus there's prob not that much meat. Ne way good luck to you my friend
    Joe