eel question

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Timber Cat, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Hey everybody :big_smile:! I have a question to bother you with in hopes someone can point me in the right direction. Well,really a few questions so I hope ya don't mind.#1 what is the correct way to fish with eels? Do you use them whole or is it best to cut them in decent size pieces ?#2 Is this time of year good for using them as bait? Been wanting to try them for a while and haven't as of yet.But I know someone here will put me on the right road :wink:.Thanks in advance!!!!

Timber

2. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i have done better cutting in chunks

3. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    They work well as cut bait in the James River this time of year. I can't see why they wouldn't be just as good in our rivers and lakes.

4. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Great cut bait for cats! Great live under a bobber for Stripers!!

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    They're good cut this time of year. That's all I've been catching cats on here lately.

6. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Thanks everyone.:big_smile: I'm gonna give em a try.

7. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Guys I read about yall usin eels for bait but whatI cant figure out is where r ya gettin em.....now with that being said I catch eels in Deep River but they are usually 2.5' to 4' long and strong as an OX!!! Are these the same eels you guys are using??

8. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I suppose you could use chunks of those big eels, but normally I tend to use eels from 12-18 inches. This time of year I do best on cut only. During the warmer months I use cut and live eels, cut for blues or flats, live for blues or flats. Sometimes a big blue will eat a whole live eel but I have the best luck with flats on live eels. I cut about 3" of the tail off and hook them about 2-3" up from where I cut. Cutting them does a couple things, it helps prevent them from twisting up the line as much and it also releases blood into the water leaving a good scent trail. Good luck !!

9. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Thanks Jason ....... how do you guys catch such small eels?????:confused2: And where....... Ill definately keep the next one I catch and chop it up!!! Never tried it b4 so maybe Ill have a better turn out!! Thanks again

10. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    I been trying to figure out how to catch em also.I know you can buy eels at the County Line bait and tackle shop in Castle Hayne there at the river bridge.But I want to learn how to catch em myself.Soooo any info on that would be appreciated :wink::smile2:

11. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I catch all of mine with rod and real,
    I use worms,or liver for bait.
    the bloodiest part is the upper half.
    the more blood the better.

12. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Thanks for that info Plowboy:big_smile:. do you use chicken liver? what size hook do ya reccomend? Thanks again.