Eel pots

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by bufryda1, Sep 29, 2006.

1. bufryda1

bufryda1 New Member

State:
    Erwin, NC
    I am having trouble catching anything in this minnow trap a buddy let me borrow. I am setting it in the Cape Fear. I guess its the kind that Wal-Mart sells, black, two pieces, both with an opening at the end of a cone pointed inside the trap. I have tried chicken livers, shrimp, and bread balls. I leave it out for two days and go back and have nothing. Any help on different bait?

2. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    try cheese and some brown powerbait if you have it roll it into little balls. i usually make some kind of crazy concauction but that one there seems to work for me!

3. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    the fiorst thing that you need is to go get a tube extender. it will make the trap longer letting the ells get in and not back out. next put your bait in either a mesh bag or panty hose. that way the have to go in to get it. i have caught a lot and i use the commercial type. i have caught up to 500 in a pull. i usually leave them in the water for a week or more. near trash piles and deep water or rocky areas. hope this helps some.

4. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    If you cant get an extender like Joe was talking about, sometimes they are hard to find then use some .0.25 hardware cloth sold at Lowes or any hardware store...use zip ties to put it together...you can also cut a door in the hardware cloth using zip ties as hinges for your door....you can use a zip tie to connect your bag of bait to the hardware cloth....we put our bait in a pantyho

Using the hardware cloth you can make your trap as long as you want or as short depending on the length of the eels....remember the trap has to be long enough for the eel to swim all the way in or otherwise he will just keep part of his body out while he eats all your bait

This is one that me and my brother-in-law made..

hope this helps...

Attached Files:

5. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You catch eels in the minnow baskets? I thought eels was larger than the small 1 inch hole in those baskets. Anyone got a pic of a eel? Iv never fished with them or even seen one.

6. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I've seen them 10" which are the size of a dime and I have seen them 3' long where they wouldn't fit in a minnow trap...check out this link

www.eelfarm.com

7. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Very interesting i didn't know eels could be caught in a minnow trap. What is the best bait to put in it to catch eels? And how long does it take to catch a few? few hours or a few days? I have a minnow trap with 1inch hole in both sides and also have a crawdad trap with 2.25 inch hole in both sides. I have extender for both. which trap would be better for eels? small hole or 2.25inch hole? Next time i go to cape fear i hope to be able to catch a few eels for bait.

8. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i have one i use and corn and dog food work really well

9. geraldh

geraldh New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Joe mentioned a tube extender. Where is the best place to find one of those. Thanks.

10. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    just a thought the extender tube will limit you to the size of the eels you catch.....If they don't have to put their whole body in they won't...

If you use the hardware cloth you can make your trap 8' long if you wanted...just a thought....

If your serious about catching eels scrap the trap and get an eel pot..

11. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    bread works good

12. geraldh

geraldh New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Where do you get the eel pots. I have looked for them but have not been able to find them.

13. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

14. geraldh

geraldh New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the info.