Eel pot laws in North Carolina

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by bowfin, Feb 4, 2007.

1. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have a couple of eel pots I would like to youse but dont know the laws.I have a couple crowdad traps to.Any helpIwould like to set them around spring garden in the neuse

2. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    laws are in wildlife book. you must mark traps and use floats with them. which lets those whom steal get them. kinda bad to say but i have put them in cape fear and come up on others emptying them on me. boy was i mad. secondly you can only have 2 traps in water at any time without special device license. but they only cost i think less than 25 . and you can only have at any time i believe 200 eels in possesion. got to check that one but i use them so fast and give to others i dont have time to count. hope this helps some

3. Catzilla2

Catzilla2 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Does anyone have any blueprints or plans on how to build an eel trap or a crawdad trap? Also, what would you bait them with? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

4. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i have some pics that are easy to see and put on together. i use old fish bodies and chicken livers. email me some i send them to yo uok.

5. Catzilla2

Catzilla2 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Joe, I sent you an im (or at least I tried to!) with my e-mail address so that you could send me the pictures of the eel pots that you have. I do not know if you recieved it or not, so just in case you didn't, here is my e-mail address again. tszwaja@yahoo.com
    Thanks again for your offer of help. I truly appreciate it.

6. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Joe0580, tell us some more about eels as bait. Are they good for blues and flatheads? How do you store them until you are ready to fish with them. Can they take a fish hit and keep on going? Thanks in advance for your reply.

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Eels are the magic bait. They wil keep going and going and going. The last especially well during the coller months. I try to keep hundreds of them at the house for bait but I have to buy mine from nc wholesale.

8. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i keep mine in a 150 quart cooler. that way i can keep about 100 at a time. as far as them takeing a hit. i like to use cut pieces for 2 reasons. have caught huge cats on a piece no bigger than an inch. secondly more bait when you use 10 or more rods. but if i want a huge cat i use a whole one and pray i am ready to battle cause that is what you are in for. i dont have enough time to feed these eels either have been asked this before. i use them so fast don't have the chance. i am going to try to attach pics of some. i do sale them but i know that i can not mention that on here. i will however help you to build one. but will not be like the ones i have. takes me about 3 days to make one with all the sewing i do to it.

Attached Files:

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I use them alive and you can keep alive without feeding them for 12 months. I never have had any that long. They reccomened not feeding them cause it builds the ammonia levels in the water to fast and can cause problems. I wish I could catch them hear but they have been pretty much consumed by the flattys.

10. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Joe, I cant find where it says you can have two without gear licsence. can you direct me to it?

11. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i got to get a new book today and i post section and page for you ok. i know there is a section about eels in it but not sure where. i found it is on page 30 under exceptions for eel pots.

A fish trap may be no more than 60 inches in length and no
    more than 30 inches in depth or width.
     No lead nets, wing nets or other devices may be attached to the
    trap nor used within 25 feet of the trap.
     Such devices when set and left unattended shall be affixed with
    a card or tag furnished by the license-holder and upon which
    his name and address shall be legibly inscribed.
     Each pot must be marked by attaching a floating buoy, which
    shall be of solid foam or other solid buoyant material and no less
    than 5 inches in diameter and no less than 5 inches in length.
    Buoys may be of any color except yellow. The owner shall
    always be identified on the attached buoy by using engraved
    buoys or by engraved metal or plastic tags attached to the buoy.
    Such identification shall include one of the following: owner’s
    N.C. vessel registration number, owner’s U.S. vessel documentation
    name, or owner’s last name and initials.
    Exception: An angler with a valid inland fishing license may use
    up to two eel pots to take eels for bait without a special fishing
    device license.
    Seasons And Waters
     There is no open season for sturgeon. Any sturgeon caught must

12. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    appreciate it joe. Now lets catch some bait!