eel help

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by phase5supply, Aug 18, 2009.

1. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    I have been fishing with live Bluegills and small live eels mainly with good luck caught some nice fish with them. I want to find a way to just catfish not bait fish then catfish, it is not legal in my area to use bait caught in a cast net so I have to use a rod. Sometimes I want fish at night and the bait stores are closed and bluegills are hard to catch after dark. I here about alot of guys in my area fishing with cut eel, I have tried it and only caught a few fish. I fish the Cape Fear river in the Fayetteville area, and want to know how anyone else rigs cut eel, I normally Carolina rig with a no-roll river weight with a bead the swivel with a apx 12" leader with a 8/0 circle octopus hook snelled. I am wondering if the bait is just laying on the bottom and getting cover in mud, has anyone ever put a small float on the leader about 6" in front of the hook to get it off the bottom? Will this help get the smell out any better. I have not fished with much cut bait and don't know the right way. Thanks Daniel

2. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC.

3. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    hey daniel as for bait usually i will make an outting every once in a while and take my son (6y.o.) and we willl catch gills. thin i will bring them home and freeze them.or if i am going the nxt day i will just refridgerate them. as for the float i have done this when it calls for it. my sugestion is try one of each and see where the bites come from. hope this helps you out brother.

4. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    hello daniel....welcome to the boc...........i live in grays creek..............i can help you out............private message me your phone number and we'll talk!:wink:

5. Wudce

Wudce New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    Never try that before like you I fish for them right off the botton. Something I been looking at is a planer board which can be rig for whatever depth you want.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    AH! Eels. Finest bait in the world. The best part of the eel is about the first third of it. Cut yourself a generous hunk and simply get the hook point through the dark skin. As far as keepin up off the bottom get yourself some pin floats and pin one on your leader. Don't be shy. Get the egg shaped ones about the size of a good egg. Keeps the bait suspended real nice. If ya don't think I like eels just check out my avatar. LOL!

7. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I agree with Goerge , on eels being one of the finest baits you can use ...
    I use a Carolina rig with a egg sinker with the rest of my rig being like yours . I take the nice sized eels I get anywhere up to 18 inches or so and cut them in half about an inch behind their a**hole , so not to puncture their blatter sack and that will give you two good baites . Take and run your hook through where you cut them and out through the dark side (cause it's a little tougher than the light colored skin) , this alowes the head end to stay kickin like chicken , and the nerves in the tail will do the same thing for it . As far as a float I've not done it on the river (yet) but on the lake I've been fishing lately I do and it has worked exelent , so my next trip to the river I will be testing it out myself ... I only give about 6-8 inches between the bobber and the bait . Hope this helps you out , good luck and let us know if it works good for you .

PS. Welcome to the BOC there are alot of great people on here who are very knowledgable , and I havent met anyone I wouldn't give the shirt off of my back to . Lot's of good people and good fishing , thats what it's all about . :wink::big_smile:

8. Mako

Mako New Member

State:
    HOPE MILLS, NC
    Yea what he said!!! HE taught me :haha:

9. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    :smile2: i like george........hes kewl..........gotta agree with what he say too.......nice eel george..............

10. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    Does the eel stay alive after you cut it in half. I always fish live whole eels and a lot of times i will get short bites. I hook the eel through both jaws and out the top. I like to target flatheads so live is key.

As for the float rig i use for cut bait. I run a three way swivel with 30 lb main line and leader to hook line. I put a long float on the leader to the hook to keep it suspended and it also gives it some movement if there's current which usually triggers better strikes instead of small annoying bites. I then run a 20 lb leader to my weight. This leader is what determines the height off the bottom you are fishing and i use lighter 20 lb line incase of a snag or a fish drags you into cover that line will break and you can still get your monster in.

11. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    Thanks for all the help:big_smile:

12. catfishhunter2009

State:
    North Caro
    :0a23:Your welcome for the info Daniel , anytime I can help anyone I will . Im not a pro but I have fished alot of different places with alot of different people and you never stop learning till the day you die . What works for me may not work for you , but if you don't try it you'll never know . That is why I love this site so much , theres alot of info and technequis on here . Like I said some will work and some may not , but theres only one way to find out ... Good luck man hope you get a monster on your next trip ... :wink::big_smile:

13. catfishhunter2009

State:
    North Caro
    Will , yes the head will stay alive for a while and the nerves in the tail will keep it kickin also . I've seen the heads stay alive for several hours on the hook , and several fish . I caught my biggest flathead last year on a eel's tail . With the three way rig your fishing , I don't think you need a bobber on it . With the weight below the bait like that it should stay susspended off of the bottom . But if you've been doing well with it rigged up like that , I wouldn't change a thing (if it aint broke don't fix it) . You can use the smaller eels whole , just cut off a little section of the tail so they can't wrap your line and make a mess so easily . But the biger ones I would defently cut them and rig them like I posted earlier . That has worked very well for me and that's how I will continue doing it ...
    Hope this helps !!!:smile2::big_smile:
    Also im starting to learn that live is not always key , The last 2 tournys I've fished my big fish that were both over 28lbs where on cut brim heads . These fish swam right past live hole brim and attacked those heads and where not letting go ...:big_smile:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  14. catfishhunter2009

State:
    North Caro
    Thanks Dan , we need to get out there and catch some hawgs . :smile2::smile2::smile2:

15. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    i beg to differ will...........live is the key in some instances.........but i can prove that theory wrong.............alot of situations............flathead will hit fresh cut bait..............especially cut eels............the key to it is presentation!:wink:

16. coeboy1

coeboy1 New Member

State:
    nc
    where do you guys get eels to fish with?

17. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    i do agree that plenty of big flatties can be had on fresh cut bait. i caught a 35lber earlier this year on a bream head. but i have found that live bait will weed out channels and blues. like i said, i was targeting flatheads. although i have caught some huge blues on live bluegill. it really depends on what the river looks like where im fishing.

18. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    that is def. true.

19. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    If you are connected to any river source that is tidal,they will be in that body of water. :wink:

20. coeboy1

coeboy1 New Member

State:
    nc
    you catch them with your throw net??