Edwardsville ramp

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by dolphinswmmr, Jun 1, 2009.

1. dolphinswmmr

dolphinswmmr New Member

State:
    kansas
    I am new to fishing the Kaw, and use the ramp in Edwardsville at 9th and woodend rd. I am looking for help with good catfish spots and gear to use. I prefer night fishing as don't care much for the heat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Can you generalize what you need help with better? No body is going to post there best catfishing spots.

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I like to fish with a pole in the water, but thats just me.:smile2:
    Seriously, buy the best equipment you can afford and go to the river. Time on the water will pay off.
    Its called payin dues.:wink:

4. dolphinswmmr

dolphinswmmr New Member

State:
    kansas
    :confused2:I"m not looking for anyones best spot. Just general idea of what to look for as far as structure, up or down river from the ramp, water depth. As far as equipment what size sinkers work well with the current. I spent some time Friday night and found some flats and channels, but not sure if that is where I should look for cats at.

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've been on the water up there just a handful of times, so my advice is limited.

You already probably know how shallow it is, look for the channel, which may only be slightly deeper than the rest of the water, and spread your poles across it. Also try right along the bankline at night.

Try the creek mouths, there is Cedar Creek of course, but don't overlook the smaller ones that come in around there.

You won't go too far downstream, but if you are confident in your boat you could try around those bridge piers. Be absolutely sure you have a good anchor before you go down there, as it is your backup that will keep you from being pulled over the dam if your motor fails.

Upstream you will come to some deeper water around the dredge holes at Bonner Springs. Set up upstream from those, just try different positions and depths.

6. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I've only fished the Kaw using the Kaw point boat ramp...and I know its a good stretch of river but I just hate all the train noise and traffic....is the Edwardsville ramp anymore quiet/more country than Kaw point? I like catching fish but I also like gettin out away from the city.

7. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    It's not the train tracks it's the high speed car chases and the gunshots that bother me. Train tracks run all along the entire length of the Kaw.I've fished up by Eudora and there's lots of trains there too.It's the thought that somebody might shoot at me and I won't have anything to shoot back with.:big_smile:

8. dolphinswmmr

dolphinswmmr New Member

State:
    kansas
    I haven't really had an issue with the gunfire, but yes the train runs right next to the river in Edwardsville. I know there is a firing range not far from the Edwardsville ramp. It's definately not more country as the I-435 bridge is only about a mile or so east of the ramp. I haven't been up river very far so I don't know if it quiets down farther from the city. There are trains all night right next to the river. Wanted to say thank you to Gary for all the info. It was a big help.:big_smile:

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i wouldnt give up any spots either but there is an archive link at the bottom that goes back a few years lots of info on were to go and what to use if you got the time to look through it all. :eek:oooh:hope i didnt give anything away:tounge_out:

10. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Most of you probably don't know but dolphinswmmr is my sister. I try to give her some general catfishing pointers but I fish lakes and I have never fished the KAW. As far as gear goes, she has trouble with baitcasters and that is all I use. If someone has a suggestion on a open face reel that will handle fishing the Kaw without breaking the bank that would help her out.

11. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Angela , Minnesota bait has some big spinning reels, reasonably priced. They have a couple around $40 that would handle big catfish. They also have some big rods in there to. Hope this helps. :big_smile:

12. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    The Okuma Avengers are excellent spinning reels for an excellent price. Around 40 bucks.
    I own quite a few of them.:smile2: The BaitFeeder ones are a nice choice, but either one will work.
    Welcome to the BoC Angela.

13. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC/SOC Angela.

14. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Welcome to the BOC Angela.

15. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I agree with Keith! You can't beat the prices at Minnesota Bait for spinning combos! Good luck and welcome to the BOC! :big_smile:

16. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Do they have a website? I did some searching but couldnt find anything.

17. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    No website.

(913) 371-0343

1124 Minnesota Ave
    Kansas City, KS 66102

18. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    You guys using 3-5 oz no rolls on the Kaw also?

19. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Jay , I usually start with a 6 oz. and work my way up depending on current. Fishing from the bank with that cross current sometimes requires as much as 16 oz. to stay put, or that current will just sweep it back towards the bank. :cool2:

20. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I'm getting to where I don't mess with sinkers less than 5-6 oz anymore, but up in that section you could get by with 3's in a lot of places. I'd recommend a selection of 3's, 5's, and 8's. That will cover 95% of it. I actually prefer bank sinkers for fishing from the boat, as they work better with sinker slides and drop lines, and have a smaller profile to the current.