Edwards fails post race inspection

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by smokey, Mar 3, 2008.

1. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    the lid to the oil tank was off.This is the same thing that fives teams had at Datona. they were docked 25 driver and owner points.And whats with nascar letting 99s tire roll accross the pit lane? So what is wasnt the 99 teams fault?It wasnt Robbie Gordons fault that they were given the wrong part. and yet he still got spanked? Could it be that nascar dosent want a rebel (Robbie} to do well and let Edwards slide cuz hes driving for the cat with the hat? Edwards team should have gotten that guy with the camera outta the way. JMO thankx smokey

2. CarolinaCats

CarolinaCats New Member

State:
    Rural Hall
    A photographer hit the tire and made it roll out into pit lane. Nascar said it was'nt the teams faught but the photograpers. So they let it ride.
    ~Teddy

3. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    My question is what kind of advantage would that provide a car
    ?

4. CarolinaCats

CarolinaCats New Member

State:
    Rural Hall
    I aint a mechanic. But I do know when some cars wont pass Emmission inspections, you can take the oil cap off and let it get more air to make it run smoother/cleaner. It may take pressure off the engine. Im just guessing.....
    ~Teddy

5. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    im going to say its not an advantage its going to be more a safty thing they are made that way an they should stay the way there made if im thinking right it was the 1 race of the year an the guy got hit in the rear end an the gas tank went flying out of the car thats why they are made the way they are to take a inpack like that an not be busted open if you cut the flanges off it it takes away the stableness of it with some thing as for the safty of people in an around the car i dont think id let him drive the rest of the year that would put a stop to a lot of this cheating

6. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I had not heard that the photographer had hit the tire,making it roll across pit lane. The way it looked to me was the photographer was just in the way of the crew member trying to catch the tire. If I'm not mistaken I believe that is what they said on TV too!

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    regardless, the crew chief should have his pit stall ready to pit. why was that photographer in the way? , because nobody cleared him out to begin with.

In basketball if the fans interupt or get in the way of the play or action, the home team still gets a technical foul.

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I would have to agree with NASCAR with edwards.You could clearly see the camera guy was the cause of it,but i also think robbie gordon shouldnt get penalized either but stuff like that happens all the time and teams still get in trouble so i would have to question there consistency.If you let one get away with it they all should and visa versa.

9. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    I think if I remember reading correctly that the missing or loose lids actually did allow a change in how the air and pressure were trapped under the car and with that extra release of pressure would allow more squat in the rear and get the spoiler down out of the air better which could result in a slight speed advantage.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    when a team has a job to do they dont have time to mess with camera guys. and most of them are over the wall. the crew member was handing over tires and went to grab the one coming from passenger side but was blocked by the film guy. i applaud nascar for thier decision. remember earlier this same race carl WAS sent to the end of the line for this same thing. there not letting him slide on anything.

and robbie gordons appeal hasnt been heard yet. he still may get the points back.

and where did you find he failed post race inspection? this is what came from nascar.com. DIDNT FAIL THE POST RACE INSPECTION . just something amiss. and if any action has to be taken it willl be done next week. he still has 491 points. where did this info come from?

NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said Edwards' car did not fail post-race inspection. But inspectors did find something amiss.

"We had an issue in post-race inspection with the 99. The lid on the oil reservoir encasement, or the oil tank box, was off," Poston said. "So we're going to take the 99 back to the [NASCAR] Research and Development Center in Concord, N.C., and if there are any actions that need to be taken, those will be taken and announced next week."

Earlier this season at Daytona International Speedway, NASCAR officials discovered five Nationwide Series cars to have a similar problem during post-qualifying inspection following their season-opening race. Each of the teams eventually were docked 25 driver and 25 owner points.

Poston said the situation with Edwards' car was not quite the same.

"It was similar. In those cases, the lids were loose," Poston said. "The lid on the 99 was off."

Edwards has won the past two Sprint Cup races. His victory Sunday vaulted him and the No. 99 car to the top of the driver and owner point standings. He currently has 491 driver points and is 21 ahead of Kyle Busch, who is in second with 470.

Bob Osborne, Edwards' crew chief, said Sunday night that he would wait until after NASCAR is able to take a closer look at the car at the R&D Center before making any comments.

SOUNDS LIKE YA ALL ARE MAD AT THE DOMINATION! LMAO:big_smile:

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i may be wrong but the oil res is in the rear of the car and a cap off i dont see how it could have any affect on the air flow of the car. pressure on internal engine maybe. flow over car. i think thats not any way the issue???

12. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Jerm, I've been searchin the www. trying to find a cutaway veiw of the COT so I can get a better idea of what they are talking about. No luck so far.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    The oil tank reservoir is mounted in the rear firewall behind the driver's seat. NASCAR's rules require the encasement cover to be made of 22-gauge magnetic steel. Quick-release fasteners may not be used to secure the lid.

this would mean the cap is in the car. no effect on air flow over spoiler.

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well maybe your reading was somehow correct. heres how nascar decribes the infraction in the rule book.

But during postrace inspection, NASCAR officials discovered the lid, or cover, was missing from the oil reservoir encasement, an infraction that falls under the general classification of unauthorized aerodynamic modifications -- the intent being to allow air to pass from the inside to the outside of the car.

also as far as robbie gordon goes. check out this. nascar overturned the penalty on rusty wallace racing. robbie could be freed of the penalty yet.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/sto...alty-against-RWR?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=167
    nascer announced that they will release any penaltys on edwards tuesday.

as far as cheating. well if i took off mine i woild make sure to put it back on buring my burnout,lol. so weather or not they knew it was off i guess they only know.:roll_eyes:

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    what was that about edwards getting away with stuff lol. docked 100 driver owner points fined $100,000:embarassed:

16. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    In the Nationwide pre race the explained/sowed what the advantage would be of the oil tank lid coming off. It allows air from under the car to come up through the hole into the car, improving down force. I don't know why nascar would ever let them pass inspection though with only one bolt holding the lid down?? I don't think it was intentional but I do think the should have secured it better. :big_smile:

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i did a bunch of searches trying to see it. i thought it was the cap for the oil at first but more articles i read i learned it was the cover.??????? thanks for the info. i hope they show it tomorrow too.

Avg. Running Pos.

DRIVER POS
    Carl Edwards 1
    Greg Biffle 2
    David Reutimann 3
    Jason Leffler 4
    David Ragan 5

View Full Stats
    More About Loop Data Driver Rating

DRIVER POS
    Carl Edwards 1
    Greg Biffle 2
    David Reutimann 3
    Jason Leffler 4
    David Ragan 5

View Full Stats
    More About Loop Data Quality Passes

DRIVER POS
    Carl Edwards 1
    Greg Biffle 2
    Kevin Harvick 3
    David Reutimann 4
    Clint Bowyer 5

wow. natonwide. adv running pos / driver rating and quality passes. #99 sweeps. lmao. go carl.

18. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yeh, it wasn't the tank itself, it was the cover that covers the area it sets in. When the cover is off it opens a hole to the underside of the car. That's why it could effect the cars airflow.

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i stand corrected. aint the first time.:wink: