Education - Junior Academic Bowl

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by blackwaterkatz, Feb 3, 2006.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I had the opportunity last week to attend the county school system's Junior Academic Bowl. For those who don't know, it consists of teams from each school in the district, competing in a 'jeopardy' format. The week included competition for all grade levels, on different nights.
    My grandson, a 7th grader, has competed in similar academic challenges for each of the past 4 years, and has made us proud each year by bringing home trophies, but that aside, it is just a lot of fun to watch all of those kids competing for honors, and to appreciate just how much effort they and their team coaches put into it.
    This year was the first time Doug has competed in this double elimination format, and I had never attended any events except the ones he was in, so I didn't know what to expect. Let me tell you, it was tough! It made me realize how long I had been out of school. The questions were not easy, and all of the competitors gave it their best shot; they were all business. Our (Doug's) team took top honors, and I couldn't have been any prouder, of course, not only to see them win, but also they managed to defeat the county's top-rated middle school in the process.
    I suppose I'm bragging some, but my main point is: if anyone has a chance to go to similar scholastic events, by all means do so, and support your schools. You won't regret going to see these kids bust their hearts to excel. They are all truly winners in my book. There is a lot of negative publicity about the educational system, but there are many more positive events taking place, that get very little media attention.

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Tommy, that is awesome.

These events sound like they would be a hoot to watch. It would also help the kids to know that they are being supported in what they are doing.

3. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    blackwaterkatz,

My son went thru gradeschool and high school on the academeic team, and just as you say, the competition is fierce. Must have payed off, 'cause now he's in the top of his class in biomedical engineering at UC. Academics wasn't all he participated in, played baseball, football, and honors show choir 9now there was some first rate competition). Cost an arm and a leg, but it was worth it in the end. He got exposure to places and things I never dreamed of at that age. Good stuff. Could have done a lot worse!. Congrats on the success, you're right to be very proud of your grandson.

Dennis

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Dennis, I know you are proud of your son, and it sounds as though he has really excelled. That takes a commitment from both child and parents to accomplish all of that.:thumbsup: