ed's marine superstore ashland, va.

Discussion in 'Boating' started by gbigskin, Feb 5, 2008.

1. gbigskin

gbigskin New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    does any member have any experience with ed's in ashland, va? i am planning on upgrading to a new suzki 4 stroke 50 hp. when i phoned i found that the 4,500 price advertised on their web site apears to me to be a 'bait and switch' sort of deal. they said that price did not include prop etc. etc. and when you got to a rigged out the door price you were approaching 7,000 which is close to a dealer i located about a 100 mi. from my home. has anyone had a similar experience and can someone suggest a good place to purchase a suzuki. travel is not a real issue for me. thanks for any suggestions.

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    There all like that. The price he has on the web is motor only. As you found out. No prop or controls and then theres the rigging fee.
    Then docking fee and others.
    Good luck on the search. I am looking for a 90 or 115 Suzuki with a tiller handle now .
    PEte

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Buy from a local dealer. They'll be the ones you go to for service, so might as well give them your business now.

4. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I used Grubbs Marine when my pontoon motor went out, they called and said $5500 for 90 merc 2 stroke installed. I went and picked it up and paid $5500 and it had prop. I would take it to dealer and get the drive away price because it can get expencive. I did have to buy a new fuel tank to keep up warenty but mine was pretty rough shape.

5. Nomdic1

Nomdic1 New Member

State:
    virginia
    I live about 20 minutes from Eds Marine. I haven't had any personal dealings with them, but a coworker of mine tried to do business with them on a new package boat, and ended up walking away. Same thing, bait and switch. Ended up getting the same boat from a dealer in Smith Mountain Lake for several thousand less.

Talk is cheap!!!

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I shopped them when I bought my Carolina Skiff, and I ended up buying from Sam's Boats in NC.

Ed's boats were priced the same on paper, but they had fewer options added and the price did not include tax, title, etc. like Sam's price did. I saved $1,000 on a $17,000 boat.

I have a Suzuki 90hp and so far I love it!!

7. BOWHOG1

BOWHOG1 New Member

State:
    NC
    I bought a yamaha from them..Service sucks...read some complaints about the "Bait and Switch" tactics in a file with the better business bureau. If price is what you want..go 4 it. If you want service and piece of mind find a trust-worthy local dealer.

8. Johny Buck

Johny Buck New Member

State:
    virginia
    In 04 I walked into their store talked with a saleslady and said what is your lowest price on a new 40hp merc two stroke. her price was a couple hundred cheaper than other places so I bought the engine, mix my fuel with amsoil and have never looked back. Pushes my 17' 1980 tracker great.

9. Flathead101Va

Flathead101Va New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I purchased a jon boat package deal from them several years ago. I agree that the service was a bit off. I drove 2 hours to get there and spent the better half of 5 hours waiting for "the trailer to be assembled" and who knows what else. I figured if the trailer tracked straight, the boat would float and my 25hp yamaha would run smooth, life would be good. 3 years and I havent had a problem with my boat. I didn't go there for the service. I went there for the price!! Nothing local came close to the matching their price.