Edmund Fitzgerold.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by 223reload, Nov 10, 2008.

1. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Anniversery on the sinking of the Edmund Fitzjerold in the great lakes. Sad day for the crews family of this vessle. I wasn't aware that it was only 1975 when this occured.

2. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I remember that well. There was a song written about it. Very sad day.

3. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks Richard, I was only 6 years old but I have always been interested in that. I worked with a fella years back whose uncle went down on it...what a tragedy. Prayers to the families...they remember it everyday.

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    actually one of my favorite songs growing up!!! :cool2:

[yt]iquCHSkmUek[/yt]

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I was only 10, I dont remember it.

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
  7. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was living in Michigans U.P. at the time. The wind blew me into a snowbank that was 15 ft deep.It was a vary bad storm.
    smokey

8. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    saw a documentary on it last year. people don't realize how bad the great lakes can get.

9. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When I was at Bethlehem Steel, we used to have to patch holes in those boats.

It's sister ship was the Sparrows Point. I think she is still hauling ore. In the 80s they cut her in half and added about 2-3 hundred feet to her length.

Those big ore carriers are something else.

Years ago, a lot of them were not self unloaders.We had big unloaders with 20 ton buckets that unloaded them. About every time one of the unloaders would knock a hole in the hold. We would get a portable welder, cherry picker and head for the boat. Boy the holds in them boats are deep. About 30 feet or so.

Thanks for the memories, watching that You Tube, reminded me of those days when I had to work for a living.

10. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

State:
    OK
    I lived right on the St. Clair River for a while. East China, MI. I loved watching those boats go by. Used to write down their names and read up on the histories. These were taken from Windsor, Ont. on the Detroit River

Attached Files:

11. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I think Gordon Lightfoot was the singer of the song.

12. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    you are correct sarge..

13. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Great song by Gordon Lightfoot! I hadn't heard it in a long time and appreciate the link you posted Adam! :big_smile:

14. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was 20 yrs. old and remember it well,liked the song also.

15. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    As part of my teaching on how steel was made, I had a filmstrip on making steel.... and that included pictures of the Edmund Fitz the ore ship..... I never put it all together until I heard the song by Gorden Lightfoot.... and then I read up on the disaster... very touching.... what a tragedy....

Thanks for the remembering.... Bayrunner Ray

16. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    i remember it well, if any of you ever get up to sault sainte marie mi in the summer there is a shipwreck museam inside a retired ore ship, it is very cool, i have visited it twice, they have a life boat from the edmund fitzgerald and a lot of other stuff, you can spend all day there, i think it was free, but i know it is closed in the winter, one of my favorite songs, thanks for posting