Edisto this past Saturday with son Ben

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by JAinSC, Oct 16, 2007.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I had plans for this past weekend - BOC member Cuda Cada (Bob) coming up to fish. Unfortunately, my wife had to go home to NY kind of suddenly, so the plans had to change. Bob got to fish on his own, and I went out with my son Ben.

Ben and launched around 3:30 and started looking for brim for baits. He is not much of a fisherman, so he kicked back with a book while I fished. It was kind of slow until I found a few spots where I was catching redbreast pretty well with a bit of worm on a 1/16 ounce jig head under a slipfloat. That go his interest, so I gave him the rod and rigged another for myself. He enjoyed catching a few good baits for us, and by then it was getting dark. We stopped by the landing and offloaded a few things we wouldn't need (to keep the boat a bit less cluttered after dark) and headed after flatheads.

Long story short, I got several blues from about 4 to maybe 8 or 10 pounds and three flatehads. Ben got to see the first little blue, then he climbed into his sleeping bag. I showed him the first flathead (about 8 pounds) before he fell asleep. A bit later I did get a better fish. I measured it (43" long by 27" girth) and weighed it (34 pounds) and took a couple of pictures. The hook was right in the center of his upper lip with nothing holding it but a little 1/4 wide strip of skin. That's some darn tough skin! As hard as we both pulled, I'm amazed the hook didn't tear out. (The first picture is of the hook in his nose. 2nd pic is self portrait with the fish.) Then I held the fish in the water for a minute to make sure it was OK, and woke Ben so he could see it. He sat up and looked and said, "Wow, he's huge!" Then rolled over again.

The last picture is of Ben all snuggled down into his sleeping bag. Around midnight he woke up and we looked at the stars together for a bit (saw a few falling stars) and talked. We even tried to talk to the barred owls. He asked if I caught any more flatheads, and I mentioned the good one I showed him. He didn't remember it at all! Apparently he slept through the whole thing.

All in all, a very nice night.

Attached Files:

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Nice fish man. Your son looked pretty happy as well! My fiance did the same thing last night:smile2:

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    As always, nice fish!

Must be nice to have warm weather and water temp all year round.

4. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    congrats on the catches

5. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Nice yella:big_smile:

6. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Congrats on the great fish and thanks for the fishing story. I can't believe that Flathead didn't pull the hook out. Fishing with your kids makes it fun. Glad you both had a great time.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congrats on a nice Flathead.

8. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    congrats on the nice flathead. it is sure amazing how storong that little piece of skin was to hold that hook in without tearing. my PB is a 34# flat he pulled pretty darn harn and so was i.

9. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    looks like it may be getting cold --great fish, nice story

10. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    That kid sure don't get impressed EZ.