Edisto river

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Southedisto, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Southedisto

Southedisto New Member

State:
    SC
    Does anyone do any fishing on the Edisto?

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Good to see ya back Tim.

I haven't had a chance yet but I hope to before years end.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I fished it once, but we got ran off by one hell of a storm.

4. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    We fish the edisto but haven't had any luck. We put in at canadys and go up river. we put out some set lines and also fished the outside curves in the holes but haven't caught a thing. i'm beginning to think theres no fish in the edisto!! LOL just wish i could find a good hot spot so i could catch a fish or two.

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    According to the DNR it full of big Flatheads. They're still mad that the flatties are eating all the redbreast they've been stocking.

6. Southedisto

Southedisto New Member

State:
    SC
    Check out cathead landing area, I never had much luck around the immediate canadys area. I fished the southedisto with much more success than the big river. With you being in Wboro, check out the Combahee for blues on set lines great tidal river, just have to read the tide.

7. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I thought I knew the area pretty well, but I hever heard of "cathead landing." Where is it?

Upper Edisto (well above tides) seems to be mostly channel cats. The blue cats seems to be getting more and more common (and bigger) in the lower Edisto - like down below Willtown Bluff. Combahee below Public Lnading seems to have good channels and small blues.

There's flatheads in the Edisto, and I think most people have come to accept them. Yeah, they are eating redbreast, but there's nothing anybody can do about it now. Besides, I love the flatheads. Personally, I think it's a pretty fair trade.

So far the flatheads haven't made it into the Combahee (?? - That I know of - anyone caught one there?). Combahee still has great shellcrackers and redbreast. As much as I like flatheads, If anybody catches one in the Combahee PLEASE remove it from the river and call the SCDNR and report the location and details.

8. Southedisto

Southedisto New Member

State:
    SC
    cathead landing is up wire road towards branchville. it will be on the left going towards bville. I agree with the flatheads, but they have destroyed the edisto as a redbreast fishery. The combahee/salkehatchie, well i only fished around yemasee. went up to 95 once just looking, beautiful river. too bad nc rivers dont look like them. ever talk to the old guy at public landing? he has some pics of big fish he has pulled from the combahee. My biggest is 40lbs on set lines, and my fishing buddy then caught one 25 the same night on hand line. got to hit in when the mullet start dieing.

9. fastalker

fastalker New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I fish the edisto alot. It is full of cats, We catch quite a few flats also.We fish out of jelicos landing most because it is so close to us. This past sunday an 80 lb flat was caught right under the bridge at jelicos.

10. omurray

omurray New Member

State:
    SC
    I fish the Edisto, this week fished late afternoon, caught five fish, weighing in over 150 lbs.

11. omurray

omurray New Member

State:
    SC
    I think it is Cathole, rather than Cathead landing. It is up the Wire Road, on left, not marked, between Grover and Branchville.Not sure of the status of the landing, but I do not beleive it is open at this point.

12. Blue Panther

Blue Panther New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Fished the north branch this past weekend. It was slow and we only caught one blue on 25 limb lines Friday night. Redbreast were scattered and at various depths but not in spring mode yet. Water temp was 62 degrees Friday afternoon and 58 Saturday morn. River dropped overnight but now looks like it has stabilized. Truly a magnificent river.

13. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I do get up around Cat Hole about 1 or 2 times a year. That whole oxbow has been pretty much cut off a lot of the time with the low water levels the last couple of years.

14. catmanpreacher

catmanpreacher New Member

State:
    SC
    Haven't fished there in years, but my PB came from the Edisto, a 62 lb flathead just above 17A

15. monk

monk New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I Would like to know what kind of boats and size you use in the rivers.

16. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The ongoing drought over the last few years has kept the water level in the Edisto very low, making it hard to get around in anything bigger than a jonboat. Even with a river jon, there are going to be areas you might have to get out and drag it past a sand shoal. Generally the worst areas are the long straight wide sections, because the low water levels spread out all of the sand so those sections will go for 100 yards with an average depth of inches sometimes.

Obviously, this all depends on the section of the river that you are on and the water level at the time. The USGS website has a page for water levels in the rivers. Anything below about 3 or 4 feet on the Edisto (guage at Givhans) is going to mean it will be tough to get around in some areas. Lately the water has gone for months at a time below 2 feet and even as low as 0.8 at times. They used to have these water levels on the waether page of the newspaper, too. I hyaven't gotten the paper in years, so I'm not sure if they still do that.

17. monk

monk New Member

State:
    south carolina
    thanks for the reply,I live in the upper part of the state. We don't have any good rivers around here to fish good luck with your fishing.

18. Southedisto

Southedisto New Member

State:
    SC
    How about the Edisto...anyone having any luck?