Edisto River this past Saturday

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by JAinSC, Jul 24, 2006.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I went down to the river for a day (or a night) of flathead fishing.

I got there between 1 and 2 PM and went off in search of bait. The river is super low right now, so I couldn't get very far upstream around low tide (I'm fishing in the lower river that has some tide), but the sunfish were biting pretty well. By dusk I had a livewell full of bluegills, redbreast, and a few small spotted sunfish.

It was early flood tide, so I decided to try a couple of new spots upriver from my usual haunts. No hits in the first couple of spots. After just a few minutes in the 3rd spot, one rod bends WAY down - like I got scared it might snap! I grabbed the rod and fought the fish in, and it was an 8 pound channel cat. That's a pretty good channel for this river, but from the way he doubled that rod over, I was expecting way more. I got a blue cat a little bit later (about the same size), but no flatheads, so I moved down river a bit more.

In the next few stops I managed to get into some flatheads, but nothing with much size to it: by about 2:30 AM I had boated 5 flatheads up to around 8 pounds. I was pretty tired, and decided not to stay till morning, so I set up in one more spot. I cast out three live brim and settled back in my bean bag chair to gaze up at the stars. The clouds had been drifting in and out all day and night (luckily, the thunder storms missed me), but it was pretty clear by then. Funny thing, I hadn't seen any shooting stars until this late. In the next hour and a half I counted 10. Anyway, I think I dozed off a bit, but a funny noise got my attention (not really sure what I "heard" - just something was wrong...) and I looked up to see a rod bend down. Long story short - 28.5 pound flathead. This is my best fish of this year so far (because of a couple of early season mishaps that cost me good fish).

After that I fished for about another hour before packing up and heading home. Don't tell anyone, but I'm going to have to be more careful about counting the baits going into the livewell. I released 27 baits at the landing. The combined possession limit for sunfishes in South Carolina is 30, I believe.

2. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds like a pretty productive day/night. Congrats on that monster too.

3. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thats a real nice fish congrads on the catch!!

Josh

4. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    Congrats on the nice fish.

5. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    Great story! Nice fish! Good fun!

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I fished the Edisto with a BOC Marine a couple yrs ago. Had a great time.

Thanks for bringing back the memories.

7. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Sounds like a good night...that bean bag chair sounds like a good idea, after endless nights of tossing and turning on my boat seats I can't believe I haven't thought of that.