Edisto River Sunday

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by JAinSC, Oct 28, 2008.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Water was about 63-64 degrees.

I went to the river with a couple of eels, 3 gizzard shad, about 15 finger mullet, and 4 larger mullet in the cooler. Good thing I did, because i was only able to catch 2 (that's right two, 1,2) sunfish. Maybe if I had run farther up river? I had to launch downstream a ways, so I didn't have the fuel or the time to go way up.

Anyway, I started fishing for a cats about 6:30 PM, and fished until 3:00 AM. During that time I got 3 small blue cats (between 5 and 10 pounds), all on the cut mullet, and no flatheads. Hardly even had any other bites.

I really wanted to catch at least a flathead or two to prove to myself that the cut baits would work. As it is, I only had the 2 live baits, and they caught nothing, so it is really not a definite test of the dead stuff. Maybe the flatheads were just totally shut down? It did cool down several degrees in a hurry last week...

OH well. It was an absolutely beautiful afternoon. Lots of fall wild flowers in bloom along the river. Saw a bald eagle several times.

The night was real nice, too: quiet and cool and clear. Great for stargazing - I saw a bunch of shooting stars, including 3 or 4 real nice ones that blazed across the sky. The pigs in the riverside impoundments (old rice fields once upon a time) were snorting and squealing and carrying on. Some of the wet areas had some kind of little frogs that were going to town making a real racket.

There were also the various noises that I couldn't identify. At one point I heard something crash around a bit in the brush near me and then heard what sounded like a heavy breath, like something (maybe a deer or a hog?) had worked hard and was breathing kind of heavy to catch its breath. The thing is, the heavy breathing noise continued for the next 20 minutes. Slow - like one heavy exhale every 10 or 15 seconds. That's what it sounded like, anyway.

I think I'm done with the Edisto until next spring. They will have the renovations on my favorite landing done by then and the sunfish should be biting (for me) again.

2. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    John- Don't give up on the river yet. I also tried them on Sunday with absolutely no luck at all. I couldn't catch bream either. Only managed two Jackfish. The river is getting a good flushing though. Givhans was almost to 7'. Give it a week to settle down and I'll meet you out there.

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks, Danny. I'm glad to hear you say that. Maybe once things settle in a bit (after all the rain and cold), I'll try it again. I've taken a few nice flatheads in the lower Santee (North Santee) on cut bait in the fall. I might give that a try, too.

Still, though, there's sheepshead and trout and red fish and ...

It's not quite the same, though. For me there's nothing like a good big old flathead.

4. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    john you better watch out that could be the LIZARD MAN you know hes allover the place just like Santa hes everywhere:crazy::crazy::eek:oooh::wink:the roundhill

5. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Been a long time since I heard anyhting about the Carolina Lizard Man....but Ill never forget the televised interview with the old black man that swears up and down that the lizard man ran up alongside his car and looked in his window.........scared him so he sped up to around 50 and here come the lizard man up along side again.......finally the lizard man had enough and shifted into high gear and left the old man......that was somewhere around Estill SC.......

We got the Moss Man down here in South Ga.

6. blackrivertiger

blackrivertiger New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm from the area where the lizard man stories originated - Bishopville, SC. An old farmer was having problems with kids hanging around his land and may have had some equipment stolen, so he made a makeshift costume and scared them. This happened in the the late 80's. The legend grew from there. As it relates to this fishing board -the "lizard man" sighting was near scape ore swamp which is a feeder of the Pee Dee River and Black River. The Black River originates in Bishopville then onto Kingstree where it becomes a recognizable body of water.

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Danny, don't give up yet. The cold front that passed through this weekend had the bite knocked off all over. Fishin' was tough this weekend. Even roundhill had to work hard to find them. :wink:
    Bill in SC

8. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    :smile2: lmao... the lizard man huh? :eek:oooh:

Me thinks somebody watched waaaay too many halloween movies:0a5:

9. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    And it's cool that you mentioned that 'cause me and my BOC buddy Blazerjet went out fishing today and saw two bald eagles also!

10. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    You laugh, but South Carolina's FULL of interesting things......and drunk people.

11. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    You got that right bro! It may have been some of the Vol fans in town for the game? There was rumor of Banjo playin and "tooth"brushin goin on all week.
    Jon, if you could have heard above the frogs and squealin it may have sounded like this:

"Boy you sho got a pretty mouth" Hear them pigs? "I'm gonna make you squeal like a pig boy!" :eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

Ask Matt He could explain it, after all he "is" one of those Vol thingys. They change after dark too! Might want to ask over the phone..............safer you know. :smile2::smile2::smile2:

12. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Well dang Rambo, ain't you just a sweetheart! I've never talked to ANY of the folks on this thread. They're gonna think the worst. And yes, I'm a Vol "thingy." Born a proud son of the great state of Tennessee.....Home to the Smokey Mountains, Music Row, Twang Town USA, Dollywood, Gatlinburg, Lynchburg, and best of all.....TENNESSEE FOOTBALL!!!! Orange Nation! Go Vols!!!!!!!!!!!!